GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essau Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 07:39:37 -0400
By Michael Scales, UK.

Good day My good friend,

 Illegal immigrants have been a big problem for Europe. There has been an
incredible shift in migration from developing countries due to increased
membership of the E.U.,wars in Iraq ,terrorism, famine,poverty,political
persecution and economic factors. As your article from Mr.Jawera touched
on...people are prepared to risk life and limb to cross open seas ,deserts
and hostile  terrain to reach what they perceived as safety. Only to find
that if they enter without the necessary approval they will be detained and
in most cases sent back to an uncertain future.The United Kingdom has been a
safe haven for those with genuine and provable need for centuries.It is part
of our tradition and culture. Migration and its problems to our economy and
society has become a political hot potato, between political parties and
climbs higher on the agenda ,as of grave concern to the British people. This
is why the foreign policies of the free World must come under strict review
by Parliaments and Congress. I have no wish to enter the political arena
over the War in Iraq other than to be brave enough to state my own humble
opinion....

My views are very close to those of our former Foreign Secretary  The Rt Hon
Douglas Hurd..who stated recently on British Television that this was an
ill-conceived war that the British people do not have the stomach
for...........

Although one must never underestimate the capacity of the British is people
to support its soldiers facing terrible dangers as they carry out there
duty. One must also take note of Former President Jimmy Carter who has
within the past few days openly criticized our Prime Minister and his own
President for this war. Two days after 9/11 I had the honour to have an
article published in the Banjul Observer for which I was to receive my only
compliment from our High Commission...though unfortunately I can not give
you my exact words as the article has gone missing....it nevertheless speaks
of the fear and the impact felt personally and for loved ones in

The Gambia....but the final paragraph states my confidence that after time
for reflection ..the West would seek reconciliation with the architects of
the unspeakable atrocity.Unfortunatly ,in the short term I was wrong.
Winston Churchill once said ,that all the solutions to the Worlds problems
can be found in History. In this respect...The Hundred year Terrorist
campaign by the IRA in Northern Ireland was first of all arrested by Public
Opinion and then committed to political representation. The Good result is
there for all to see. But as I have said to you on numerous occasions....I
am no politician, nor am I a diplomat...or a journalist. I see myself
...just as a pilgrim and an honest witness. In fact I am the majority and a
child of democracy. I trust this answers your own query to the best of my
humble ability.  Thank you my good friend........Michael.

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 (Archive on Thursday, May 31, 2007)
Posted by PNMBAI  Contributed by PNMBAI
Return <http://www.freedomnewspaper.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx>

   Copyright 2006 (c) Freedom Newspaper, LLC.   :  Powered By
PointClick<http://www.pointclicktech.com/>
  :

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい