GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"MUSA A.PEMBO" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:52:27 -0000
  Pilgrims Stream Into Tent City.

      MINA, 18 January 2005 - Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims began streaming into Mina yesterday turning the tent city into a vast white canopy symbolizing their seamless dress and sense of sublime piety as this year's Haj began in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.

      Chanting "Labbaik Allahumma Labbaik" (Here I am Oh Lord) in unison, they started arriving in large numbers from Makkah after nightfall in preparation for a day of supplication and tomorrow's Haj proper when the Standing on Arafat takes place.

      The weather is pleasant with temperatures between 30 and 18 degrees Centigrade. The tent city is not yet crowded and pilgrims are just arriving; however, it is already bubbling with activity. All arrangements have been completed to receive pilgrims, but the authorities are still fine-tuning the operations onsite in order to make the pilgrims' stay as safe and comfortable as possible.

      Pilgrims will continue arriving in Mina until noon today and will spend the night in fireproof tents before catching a bus or walking to Mount Arafat tomorrow. They will spend the day in Mina in prayer and meditation. The white tents, stretching in all directions, symbolize the peace and purity of essential Islam. There is no violence or terrorism; the emphasis is on peace, love and tranquility.

      After dawn tomorrow, the pilgrims will move toward Arafat for the culmination of the Haj, which symbolizes the Final Judgment. They will return to Mina on Thursday after spending the night in Muzdalifa, to stone the Jamrat - pillars representing the devil. Once back in Mina, they will sacrifice animals. Over a million sheeps have been imported, most of them from Sudan and Uruguay, to meet the pilgrims' demands. Pilgrims will spend two additional days in Mina to take part in the symbolic three-day stoning of the devil.

      Pilgrims have been arriving in the hundreds from the day the Haj Terminal at King Abdul Aziz International Airport (KAIA) opened on Dec. 12 to receive Haj flights. Security and other Haj-related arrangements and preparations are amazing. The Saudi authorities have mobilized more than 50,000 security personnel to ensure a peaceful Haj, free of any incident.

      Interior Minister Prince Naif who toured the Holy Sites in Makkah on Saturday to inspect the Haj preparations as well as new projects said that the Kingdom had made enough security arrangements to secure the pilgrims' safety during Haj. He stressed that new security equipment and machinery used at the Haj sites are meant to ensure maximum safety. He added that Saudi security forces are fully prepared to meet any contingency.

      The five-day Haj rituals begin today. Police reinforcements have been posted at the entrances to Makkah and on roads leading to the Holy Sites; over 14,200 buses will be used to transport pilgrims within the area.

      Of the security personnel deployed, Brig. Mansour Al-Turki, said that they are primarily concerned with traffic control and pilgrim safety; the great desire is to avoid any accidents which could result in the deaths of pilgrims. More than 10,000 officers have been assigned to deal with security matters.

      The Ministry of Health is also on full alert, eager to serve the guests of God. The executive Haj Health Committee under the chairmanship of Dr. Adnan Al-Bar, director of health in Makkah, stated that all health centers and hospitals in Makkah, Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifa were well-equipped and ready to provide health care to pilgrims. The director said, "We have huge stockpiles of medicines to combat any outbreak of disease. There are so far no reports of contagious diseases among the pilgrims."

      More than 12,000 food outlets have been set up to feed the faithful. Bakeries are equipped to make 10 million loaves of bread each day.

      Despite all arrangements and preparations by Saudi authorities to make Haj comfortable and safe for pilgrims, there is still both physical pain and hardship to be endured. In the end, however, all problems yield to a sense of blessed serenity.

      An old man Mehboob Khan, 65, from Baroda in India, exemplifies the pain and hardship; he is tired, has a low fever but still feels this is the most blissful moment of his life. He said, "I'm an old man with a number of health problems, but still I have come all the way from India to this holy place to perform Haj and show my gratitude to the Almighty."

      Bespectacled and sporting a disheveled beard, 33-year-old Yussef Khan spent $3,000 to come to Makkah from China. "It's my first visit here. I am delighted by this city which is the soul of Islam, particularly as I'm from China which is a country of many unbelievers," he said.

      Outside his tent, Faisal Dessay, 26, from Reunion chats to his fellow compatriots from the French island in the Indian Ocean. "It's awe-inspiring. It is an experience that every Muslim has to live through," he said, adding that he was fed up with Al-Qaeda and the advocates of militancy. "Osama Bin Laden and the terrorists say they act in the name of Islam, but our religion preaches the opposite of what they practice," he said, adding that Islam was "a religion of peace and mercy."

      Ikhlaque Qadri, a Bangladeshi, is ecstatically happy. He said only those fortunate ones whom God calls are able to come to perform Haj. "And I'm grateful to Him that I was summoned. I have waited for this moment for years and finally it arrived and now, I'm in the Holy Land."

      Zein Al-Arifin, a 43-year-old Indonesian, had thoughts only for the tens of thousands of victims of last month's tsunami that devastated several countries in South Asia.

      "I'm going to pray for the victims and all Indonesian pilgrims will do the same," he said. "The tsunami was sent by God to test our faith and we must be patient in the face of these trials."

            Haj Watch: Signals in Grand Mosque

            MAKKAH, 18 January 2005 - All 129 doors of the Grand Mosque have been equipped with red and green light signals. If the lights are green, there is available space in the mosque. Red lights mean that the mosque is full to capacity. Fifteen doors will be for the exclusive use of handicapped pilgrims and a number of escalators will also be reserved for use by the handicapped.

            Security Briefing

            MAKKAH, 18 January 2005 - The director of Haj affairs in the Interior Ministry described the security situation in Makkah as stable and said that nothing unusual had been detected. Addressing a press conference yesterday, the official said he expected the total number of pilgrims to be 2.8 million. The total number of pilgrims arriving from the airports in Madinah and Jeddah will exceed 1.3 million. The total number of Haj permits issued for pilgrims within the Kingdom is 150,000.

            South American Pilgrims

            MAKKAH, 18 January 2005 - Thirty-four South American pilgrims who are guests of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques arrived in Makkah yesterday. Twenty-nine pilgrims are from Brazil, three from Peru and one each from Colombia and Paraguay. The pilgrims visited the Holy Mosque Exhibition where they learned about the history of the Holy Mosque.

            Charity Meals

            MAKKAH, 18 January 2005 - Prince Abdul Majeed, governor of Makkah, has directed the authorities to organize the distribution of charity meals to pilgrims. Yesterday was the last day when food containers were allowed within the holy sites.

                  WAMY to Feed the Needy During Eid.

                  RIYADH, 18 January 2005 - The World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) will distribute baskets of food among the poor, orphans and the needy all over the Kingdom during the run-up to Eid Al-Adha.

                  Dr. Saleh Al-Wohaibi, secretary-general of WAMY, told Arab News that the distribution of food baskets was part of its long-term plan to distribute 100 million baskets over the next five years. Each basket will consist of rice, macaroni and sugar to last one month for a Saudi family of seven members.

                  This charitable program will run parallel to the distribution of one million copies of the Holy Qur'an in Africa.

                  "We have already given away 400,000 copies of the Qur'an to people in Africa. We hope to achieve our target within the next three years," Dr. Al-Wohaibi said.

                  WAMY has also lined up cultural programs for women and children. Under these programs, which will be handled by its women's committee, there will be 'Basmatul Eid' ('Smile of Eid') cultural show at Lailaty Hall near the King Saud University campus. Open only to women and children, there will be an admission fee for the show which will feature songs, drama and other entertainment items.

                  Referring to WAMY's involvement in the Haj program, the secretary-general said they will be hosting 200 pilgrims on behalf of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Fahd. "We shall take care of them right from the airport to Makkah and other pilgrimage sites over the next 20-25 days."

                  To this end, the organization will distribute 10,000 Haj meals. Each pilgrim will receive a basket consisting of seven books in Arabic or English relating to Haj rituals, Islam and the beliefs of a Muslim, code of moral conduct, and other relevant literature.

                  Dr. Al-Wohaibi said WAMY will also slaughter 500 sheep and the sacrificial meat will be handed out to the poor people in the Haj areas. "We depend on donations for carrying out these tasks. Donors are welcome to visit our office and obtain a receipt for every contribution. Our food distribution program is being handled by a local company with which we have signed a contract."

                  As for tsunami relief work, he said they have been actively involved in Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand. While it is very difficult to arrange food supplies to the severely affected areas of Indonesia, the situation is manageable in Sri Lanka and Thailand, where relief operations are in full swing.

                        Pilgrim Smugglers on the Prowl.

                        JEDDAH, 18 January 2005 - Pilgrims without Haj permits have a tough time trying to pass police checkpoints on their way to Makkah. But they are getting help from local Saudis who offer to smuggle them to Makkah.

                        Pilgrims caught without Haj permits are denied entry to Makkah and forced to go back. Keen to perform Haj, such pilgrims turn to Saudi taxi drivers who are adept at avoiding police.

                        Saleh Al-Ruwaili, a taxi driver, said, "I do not call it smuggling, I call it helping the poor pilgrims who did not have the time to get Haj permits. I don't think we are doing anything illegal. We are helping our brother Muslims to perform Haj. To take these pilgrims past the checkpoint is a simple task. Mostly, we do it at night to avoid being noticed by the highway patrol. My job is simple; I take the pilgrims past the checkpoint from Madinah to a waiting person in Jeddah. The man in Jeddah knows the safe routes to Makkah and he is the one who takes them into the holy city".

                        Amin M., a taxi driver who is an experienced pilgrim smuggler, said, "The idea is simple: I avoid driving through a checkpoint with pilgrims. I let the pilgrims get off half a kilometer before the checkpoint and I meet them later on the other side. Pilgrims carry their small bags with them and leave nothing in the car to avoid raising the suspicion of police. The pilgrims walk around the checkpoint and meet me on the other side.

                        "The smuggling usually takes place late at night when security is lax. Once in Jeddah, my partner takes them to Makkah through routes he knows best. I charge SR150 per pilgrim to drive them to Jeddah. There is a higher charge for the driver who smuggle pilgrims to Makkah and usually they charge SR250 per head because the risk is high."

                        Arab News spoke to pilgrims without Haj permits in SASCO gas station on Madinah-Jeddah highway. Abdulmaleek, from Bangladesh, said, "I cannot afford to pay for a Haj permit because it is very expensive. To pay SR400 for smugglers is a lot cheaper for me than to go to Haj legally with a permit. There in the holy sites, I can easily find a place to sleep and food to eat because it is available and many generous people offer food, drink and shelter to us. The difficult part is getting to Makkah from Madinah because there are many police checkpoints on the way. The driver told us that if we followed instructions, we would make it to Makkah. I have to listen to them because they are the ones who know how to do the job".

                        Muhammad. K., a Makkah resident and pilgrim smuggler, said, "Smuggling pilgrims to Makkah is not a difficult job if you are from the city. The easy way is through the old Jeddah-Makkah road. I have an insider who warns me of all police checkpoints and sometimes I have local people helping me to avoid police or warn when there is police presence. My job is to take them to Makkah. I do not consider my job illegal because I am helping people to perform Haj. They have great sympathy from local people in Makkah. I enjoy what I am doing because I am helping people and getting paid good money at the same time. I have been doing this job for five years now. I cannot describe the way I do it and from where I smuggle pilgrims because that information should not be made public".

                              They Are Here Fired by a Tidal Wave of Faith.

                              MAKKAH, 18 January 2005 - They saw the fury of nature. They survived. They have clung to their faith in Almighty and are seeking solace, courage and forgiveness by performing Haj.

                              Pilgrims have come in large number from tsunami-ravaged regions to Saudi Arabia for performing Haj. Most of them have come from Indonesia after overcoming the nightmare of the tidal waves which devastated them. About 200,000 Indonesians were expected to arrive for this Haj. But it is still unknown how many of those would-be pilgrims were killed or made refugees by the waves that first steamrolled northwestern Indonesia and raced across the Indian Ocean within hours - taking some 162,000 lives, more than two-thirds of them Indonesians.

                              The tragedy has left a shadow on this year's Haj which comes to a climax tomorrow. "Everything changed," said 17-year-old Takou Rizky, one of the pilgrims. "We saw death face to face. Tsunami has made us stronger and strengthened our faith," he said.

                              Another tsunami survivor, Alim Avi from Weligama, 18 km from Galle in Sri Lanka, recalled his brush with the tidal waves. "We lived near the beach. When we were in the house we heard people shouting about the waves. We got out, and before we could talk waves reached our compound. I held on to all our three children. But when the waves overwhelmed us, we got separated. I remember floating and being smashed against trees," she said. I survived. And I'm here to perform Haj and thank Almighty for saving my life."

                              These pilgrims are getting support and encouragement from local officials and residents to perform their religious rites comfortably. They get special care and attention wherever they go in the holy city.

                              One Indonesian man spoke of his surprise over the dozens of people who noticed his nationality and offered condolences for the more than 100,000 Indonesians who died on Dec. 26. Another Indonesian found a quiet spot to pray for a lost friend.

                              Mohamed Saleh, a teacher from Jakarta, stood outside the Grand Mosque and prayed, his hands raised and his eyes filled with tears. "I have lost a friend in the tsunami, and I pray for him and the souls of all those who have perished," said Saleh. "I pray that God will mend broken hearts and give them courage to overcome the grief."

                              About 100 Indonesian women, walking together, many holding hands, wore headscarves identifying them as from the devastated region of Aceh.

                              None of them speak or understand Arabic, but at the word "tsunami," several made wave-like gestures and gave looks of horror - opening their eyes wide and covering their mouths with their hands. Others sighed deeply, before all melted into the crowd circling the Kaaba.

                              Some of the pilgrims said that the disaster was God's way of punishing the erring millions. "This is a punishment from God because everybody is leading a wretched life," one pilgrim said.

                              "All of us are to be blamed for the tsunami. There is no sense of modesty or religious fervor anymore. People have gone so far away from God. It's a message to say, 'Look, I'm the boss'," he said, and added that he was here for the atonement of his sins and to seek forgiveness from God.

                              Another pilgrim, Dien Syamsuddin, said he has been praying in particular for God to protect orphans of tsunami from child traffickers. "I've been praying for the dead and their families, but I'm really concerned about the children who have been orphaned by the disaster," he said.

                              Some of the pilgrims thanked Islamic countries for sending aid.

                              Dahlan, 21, from Aceh, praised Saudi generosity, noting the $84 million raised for victims in a recent telethon. "But we need to do more," he said.

                                Small Fire Hits Makkah; No Casualties.

                                MAKKAH, 18 January 2005 - A small fire broke out at a residence housing Pakistani pilgrims less than one kilometer away from the holy mosque during Maghreb prayer yesterday evening. Two hundred and fifty people were inside the building when the fire broke out, but were all successfully evacuated by the time the civil defense brigade arrived.

                                According to a Civil Defense lieutenant, the fire was most likely caused by a smoldering cigarette thrown down from an adjoining building.

                                Civil Defense personnel were quick to respond and had four fire trucks on the scene within minutes of the fire breaking out. By the time the fire was extinguished, seven fire trucks, three police units and three ambulances converged on the scene. The rooftop fire which destroyed the personal belongings of several pilgrims, was extinguished within 15 minutes, preventing it from spreading to adjacent buildings.

                                "This could have been a disaster if it happened while we were asleep," one resident of the building told  our reporter. "Fortunately it is only property damage, and no injuries," he continued.

                                In April 1997, a large fire fueled by high winds burned through a sprawling and over-crowded tent city at Mina trapping and killing more than 340 pilgrims and injuring 1,500. Saudi Arabia has since made fire prevention a top priority.

                                Helping New Muslims.
                                muhammad Salahuddin . Al-Madinah

                                According to press reports, the Saudi Embassy in Paris has refused to grant Haj visas to a group of French women who recently converted to Islam. The embassy refused the visas on the grounds that the women had no male guardian (mahram), as is required by Shariah, to accompany them to the Kingdom. We are faced here with a situation that requires immediate action and solution - especially since it involves new converts who chose Islam as their religion and who need special care so that they will be able to understand the faith correctly.

                                First of all, I am not in full possession of the facts nor am I aware of any reason or reasons - other than the one cited - that led the embassy to deny the women visas. The late Sheikh Abdul Aziz ibn Baz, the renowned scholar and Saudi Arabia's former grand mufti, constantly reminded Muslims of the need to recognize the differences among the various Islamic schools of thought. He also stressed the need for Muslims to respect rulings issued by the scholars in this country, in regard to foreigners as well as pilgrims. In the past, many scholars have had ruled that a Muslim woman can travel without a male guardian if she is traveling with a group in what is known in Arabic as "rifka mamouna" - in other words, safe company. This ruling is recognized by followers of both the Shafie and Maliki schools of thought as well as by many contemporary scholars.

                                The safe company or collective visa system could solve such problems as this. We must not fail to realize that many new female converts are not married and hence have no husband to accompany them. Neither would it be allowed for their non-Muslim fathers to accompany them.

                                This is a situation which Saudi embassies and diplomatic missions all over the world have to face and consequently, there should be a clear procedure to be followed in such cases. The Minister of Haj, Iyad Madani, is making commendable efforts to facilitate Haj for new Muslim female converts. His efforts, however, need to be supported by the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Ash-Sheikh, Minister of Islamic Affairs, Sheikh Saleh ibn Abdul Aziz Al-Ash-Sheikh, as well as others including officials of the Makkah-based Muslim World League, the World Assembly of Muslim Youth and all other Islamic bodies. Their combined efforts should provide Saudi embassies abroad with guidelines to be followed in these situations. Saudi women might also be appointed to accompany and advise the new female converts during their stay in the Kingdom.

                                The number of new Muslim converts has been on the increase in both Europe and the US since 9/11 with the rate of increase in the US exceeding 40 percent. These facts and figures put additional responsibilities on the Muslim nations in general and Saudi Arabia in particular whch should do more to assist the new converts, help them to learn more about Islam and also to integrate into our religion's way of life and practices.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい