GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 1994 19:20:57 -0700
Hi Folks,

As a concerned Gambian, I view with horror and trepidation, the killing of
unarmed students by Mr. Yaya Jammeh's goons. It is indeed shocking that
these extrajudiciary killings are occuring under a "democratically elected
government". May the soul of the departed rest in peace, Amin.

I leave you with the following quote:

KOFI ANNAN (UN Secretary General) on African leaders:

"The quality of the leaders, the misery they have brought to their people
and my inability to work with them to turn the situation around are very
depressing. Unless we find a way of getting them to focus on resolving
conflicts and turn to the key issues of economic and social development,
the efforts that we are all making will be for naught. In many countries
the wrong kind have made it to leadership. They see power for the sake of
power and for their own aggrandisement rather than having a real
understanding of the need to use power to improve their countries."

With best regards,

Madiba.