GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mohinder Bains <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:34:39 GMT
Harona,

I am not suggesting that the practice be eradicated as you insinuated in
your posting.  There is an indication then that should FGM be performed
under proper medical supervision then little or no  complications would be
involved. The reason for bringing up this topic was to provoke some thought
along the lines of Medical supervison.

Isn't it therefore hypocritical that many of us voice out our opposition to
this practice for the simple reason that it is performed outside the realm
of modern medical facilities and not for anything else.  Wouldn't it be more
acceptable if it was done under the supervison of a proper surgeon or
medical personel.

Almost all advocates of eliminating the practice of FGM have used words such
as barbaric, horrific etc to describe the pains endured by  people who were
subjected to the treatment.  I would say that this was not warranted nor
justified bearing in mind that the ritual is a custom through many
generations and needed to be looked at objectively.

Thanks
Hinder