GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:56:57 EST
Kotou Mustapha:
I have scoured the archives to see where you once said that Ebou was married
to your niece.  Turns out that it is Peter Sanyanag you were referring to and
not Ebou.  So, I do apologize for wrongly referring to Ebou's wife as your
niece.

Nevertheless, I still cannot buy the fact that you only heard about this saga
when you joined the Gambia-L.  The headlines about your friend's fiasco were
splashed in the papers everywhere, even in largely circulated ones such as
New African.

This is hopefully going to be my last comment about this issue, but I
personally believe that you are not being forthwith about your relationship
with Ebou.  I dare say that you maintain private contact, and thus you have
been compromised as it concerns your refusal to call a spade a spade and
advice Ebou to do the right thing:
He should not insult well meaning Gambians after being directly involved in
the embezzlement of state funds.

If you were a stand up guy, you would have advised him to at least be less
arrogant in the face of questions which Gambians need to know.

As for Ebou, he should understand that he has only been in this country for 6
years and I believe he does not know this place too well.  Tell him to watch
his step, because there are mechanisms out here that allow for him to be
tried here before being deported back home to face further charges.  In lieu,
of his apology to Jammeh, he has contradicted the statenments which allowed
him to gain political assylum here.

He also faces the possibility of a tremendous beat down, as they call it
around these parts.  He should understand that DC/MD/VA are all within
driving distance of one another.  We know the place well and he should make
sure he is not in the wromg place at the wrong time.  I swear by God that I
shall lead the beating myself should the opportunity present itself.