GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:15:01 -0400
Sanusi, thanks for your contributions. However I must say that I disagree
that it is early for Mariama to congratulate Darboe. The deed has already
been done. There is already an Alliance in place made up of all the
Opposition Parties except PDOIS and NCP. Furthermore, the Presidential
Candidate of that Alliance, is Ousainou Darboe. We are looking FORWARD to
Sunday. I think rather than throwing cold water at Darboe supporters, PDOIS
and NCP supporters that subscribed to the idea of a Coalition should be
engaging their leaders in frank discussions to solicit genuine reasons for
their lack of participation in the Alliance. That should be the way to go.
If what Adama Bah said is NOT PDOIS’ official position, let the Party come
out and denounce Adama Bah and give a genuine reason why they were NOT at
the Meeting and spare us this ludicrous whining about not receiving a
letter.

Dibba supporters like Jassey-Conteh should also proactively engage their
leader and ask him to explain why he thinks he deserves to lead the Alliance
despite the fact that the majority of the delegates at yesterday’s Meeting
did NOT want him to lead. Why should the Alliance sit back and allow PDOIS
propagandist like Adama Bah spread erroneous facts about the formation of
the Alliance? Like I said, the rules have changed (at least for me). As much
as I would like to see PDOIS in the Alliance, no one can force them to do
what they are not comfortable with. Like Hamjatta, I respect their
prerogative to join an alliance or not to join. Having said that, be rest
assured that I am a partisan and I will NOT tolerate attack on the Alliance
I support (from ANY quarter).

I take this opportunity to tell Alliance supporters that much is not lost.
Dibba’s stance against Darboe will now show everyone that Darboe was NEVER a
Dibba stooge as some used to say. There is also a way of looking at PDOIS’
non-participation in the Alliance as a blessing in disguise. A PDOIS
candidacy will hurt APRC more because both Parties claim to have a big
following in the youths (whatever that word means in today’s Gambia). So, we
all know which vote is going to be split if Darboe were to run against Yaya
and a PDOIS presidential candidate. It would have been better if all the
APRC votes that would go to PDOIS under such circumstances had gone to
Darboe instead, but it is all good so long as the votes do NOT go to Yaya.

I again respectfully urge NCP and PDOIS supporters to lobby their leaders
and convince them to join the Coalition. The lobbying can be done both
privately and in the open. However, from experience, I would say that it is
more effective to lobby these people privately. What we do NOT need is
characters like Adama spreading false rumors about things that did NOT
happen.
KB