GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Sarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 06:08:23 -0500
Momodou Camara,
 Thanks for this useless piece of information(FOTCL!-Falling Off The Chair
Laughing). Naaah, I'm just kidding Mo'. Actually you've given us some great
pieces of information. Nevertheless, I still do think we were short changed
though (hehehe!). Well, according to the Listserv manual:

 "NOMail is the complementary command that stops mail but leaves you
  subscribed to the list. (NOMail is often a good compromise for users who
  are leaving the office for vacation or on extended business trips, and
  who don't want a full mailbox on their return.) The format of the
  messages received is controlled by the DIGEST/INDEX/NODIGEST/NOINDEX
  options (see below).

  Please note, if you use an auto-responder while on vacation without
  setting your subscription options to NOMail, your "vacation" messages
  may bounce back to LISTSERV and you may be "served off" from LISTSERV
  when you return. This is because LISTSERV will be unable to process the
  message from your auto-responder and will consider it an error.
  Being "served off" simply means that any commands you send to LISTSERV
  will be ignored until someone else sends a SERVE command on your behalf.
  See Appendix E for more information about the SERVE command."

Now I said we were short changed; because #1 the NOMAIL command disables
mail delivery (temporarily I might add); and #2 it will not allow you to
continue to send e-mails regularly 'cause Listserv processes your postings
as an autoresponder and "and will consider it an error". It serves you off
in other words. So whaddaya do? Well, I'll wait till you clarify before I make any other suggestions. I specifically would like to know whether you can use the NOMail feature(disables mail delivery) yet still being able to post messages as usual. If that is what you're implying, then I would start
using this breather ASAP. Afterall, why reinvent the wheel when the cat is
totally wrapped in the bag?

Momodou, thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers!

PS: Here is something interesting to chew on over a hot cup o' Earl Grey's
tea. I tumbled on it on the Listserv manual(where else!). The subject :
"How To Deal With Rude People" No kidding folks. Flies like a butterfly, stinks like a bee..hehehe! Read on :

                   HOW TO DEAL WITH RUDE PEOPLE

The Internet, just like the real world, has its share of rude people.
While there isn't much one can do about it, it would be silly to avoid
using the Internet simply for fear that someone might insult you in public
one day. Sooner or later, it will happen, and the best you can do is to be
prepared for this. When it does happen, the only thing you absolutely must
not do is whack the "reply" button and send off a stream of insults at
your offender - or if you absolutely must, at least make sure that you do
so in private. All you would achieve with a stream of insults is what is
called a "flame war" in network jargon - dozens of people casting insults
at each other, and a very swollen mailbox. Insulting someone on a public
list is very much like punching someone in the face in a crowded bar near
closing time; don't do it unless you want to get into a fight that could
be painful for everyone.

Now, of course, you have been insulted and some factually incorrect
statements may have been made about you, or your words may have been
twisted around to make them sound like you meant exactly the opposite of
what you said. A public reply may be appropriate, in much the same way
that one would write to the editor of a newspaper and request the
publication of a formal reply to "straighten out the facts". The important
thing is to avoid content-free messages where no misinformation is
corrected, no point is made and all that is ever exchanged is insults.

But before you do that, you will want to consider why these people have
been rude to you. First of all, make sure the poster did intend to be
rude. The Internet connects people from over 50 countries, and many of
them are not native English speakers. They may have translated an
idiomatic expression literally, and insulted you without meaning to.
Similarly, native English speakers may have used a correct idiomatic
expression which, when translated literally, sounds very mean in your
language.

The next thing to consider is where the poster comes from. No matter what
your personal opinion on the question may be, there are cultures with a
very different definition of what is or is not socially acceptable, and in
particular there are cultures where personal attacks are no big deal.
While you may think that they should not do anything that hurts your
feelings, you probably don't want to get into a cultural flame war,
because you are probably hurting other people's feelings as well on a
regular basis. For instance, do you always address people by their full
name and title, or do you just say "As Peter said yesterday..."? In some
countries, it is a grave insult to call people by their first name if you
don't know them personally, while in others using the full title can sound
sarcastic. There are dozens of similar examples, and the only way to
successful cross-cultural communication is to tolerate other people's
cultural habits in return for their tolerance of yours.

Another point to consider is that, sometimes, people are having meaningful
discussions in a tone that appears inappropriate to you, but that may seem
perfectly normal to them. As long as their messages contain useful
information, there is no point in trying to police the list, both because
it is the list owner's job, not yours, and because adults are unlikely to
change their behavior in any significant way, especially if the people
complaining are new to the list. If you want the list owners to take
action, it is better to write to them directly, so that you do not end up
being labelled as "one of the people running the flame war". If you just
want to publicly express your indignation, it is best to type the message
and pause, just before sending it, to consider whether you are doing this
in the general interest or for your personal, selfish satisfaction. Most
mail programs let you cancel a message.

Lastly, if you are new to the Internet please take the time to look
through existing resources on netiquette (the rules of etiquette governing
on-line communication).

Note that among Internet users, a kind of "shorthand" exists which may be
confusing at first. One example of this is the term "IMHO", which means
 "in my humble/honest opinion". Some other examples can be found in
Appendix C.

You may also encounter symbols called "emoticons", which are used to help
define the emotions of the poster while he is writing. Some of the more
popular emoticons are found in Appendix B.