GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cherno Marjo Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:37:39 +0000
UN Integrated Regional Information Networks
NEWS

June 16, 2006
Posted to the web June 16, 2006
Dakar

When Ibrahima Sow turned five, he was sent away to a religious school - or
daara - to learn about Islam and memorise the Koran. Forced to beg to pay
his teachers and to feed himself, and beaten whenever he returned
empty-handed, he finally ran away from the daara.

Small boys begging as "talibes", or disciples of a marabout teacher, are a
common sight at street corners across Senegal. The United Nations Children's
Fund (UNICEF) estimated in 2004 that there were as many as 100,000 child
beggars in the country - about one percent of the population - and that
talibe children were the vast majority.

Today, Ibrahima Sow is 16 years old. The following is the story of much of
his childhood as he recounted it to IRIN:

"I stayed a long time at the daara. I don't know exactly how long, but I'm
sure I was there for more than three years.

At the daara I used to get up at 6 a.m. and go out to beg for my breakfast
as there was no food there. At 9 o'clock I'd return to learn the Koran until
1 p.m., when I'd go back out to beg for my midday meal. I'd return to the
daara at 3 p.m. and stay in class until 5.

It was at 5 p.m. everyday that I had to turn over all the cash begged that
day. There was no amount set but when we came back empty-handed we were
beaten. They only let us buy food if we brought back a lot of money.
Otherwise we didn't eat.

The toughest times were when the marabout teacher was away, because then the
oldest talibes were left in charge. There were only five or six of them but
they didn't treat us well. That's why I ran away from the daara.

After running off I lived on the streets for two or three months. Sleeping
rough wasn't easy but I was never scared. I used to sleep under trucks or
buses at bus stations. I'd chase away anyone who was already there to get
some space.

I used to beg and steal and I was never caught, except for once. I was in
Rufisque, outside Dakar. Me and a friend stole a cellphone and the owner saw
us. He caught us and heated up a fork and a knife and then applied them to
our skin. I still have burn marks on the stomach, chest, left arm and
bottom.

One day I sniffed paint solvent with a gang of friends. We put the stuff on
a rag and mixed it with fresh mint to hide the smell. It had no effect on me
so I threw away the rag and never tried again.

I used to make love to younger boys but nobody ever did it to me. I had seen
Thierno, a friend of mine who's leader of a gang of street kids, do it. So I
tried. But I dropped all that when I came to live in the shelter in Pikine
run by Village Pilote [an NGO that works with street children in the suburbs
of the capital Dakar].

After a few months at the refuge I ran away one day because I didn't want to
go to reading and writing class. One of the workers, David, tried to force
me. When I refused, he pulled me by the arm to talk to me but I threw away
my books and paper and fled. I lived on the street for 10 days until I
bumped into a talibe who had been entrusted to my marabout teacher. He
forced me to go back to the daara in where my teacher gave me some money to
go home.

I finally made it to my village, Mban, three months ago. Now I work as a
shepherd with my cousin.

I'd like to go back to the city, not to live on the street but to look for
work, earn some money, buy sheep and bring them back to the village and
raise them. But I have no choice but to stay here. My father has died and I
must now help my mother who still has to bring up my two little sisters and
my little brother. As the oldest I'm now in charge of the whole family and I
must be responsible."

[ This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations ]

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい