GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:16:33 +0000
Sanusi:

Well put! If I may add, remittances also help pay for school fees, compound
rates/ taxes, fees paid for medical, water, telephone and other services.
Gambians who have completed or are building houses at home can attest to the
fees for the building(s), water and electricity installation charges, not to
mention telephone service.  Also, part of the money spent on other goods and
services, end up in government coffers as taxes.   And given Gambia's social
system, many in the Diaspora help support people outside their immediate or
extended families.

The situation in The Gambia is, simply put, worrisome and no amount of
"talk" can mislead people of the reality.  All one needs to do is call home,
which I am sure most of you do.  In fact, one does not have to be political
or be critical of the regime to come to the conclusion that the bulk of
Gambians are suffering.  It is a daily reality.  Let us accept it as a given
and work to remdy it.  And while the fuel, electricity, water and other
shortage(s) are emblematic of a deep economic crisis and mismanagement, the
fundamental problem is political.  Jammeh can hire, fire, blame or assume
all Government portfolios but that will not solve the crisis.  He can blame
all the oil companies and his ministers but responsibility for these
problems are primarily his.  It is clear to me and most others, that the
Jammeh Administration, alone, can not reverse this crisis. Jamme's
"meat-money" and "lettuce" antidotes make my point.

I cringe and mourn personally whenever I hear or read of another hand-out or
act of charity to The Gambian people.  This may continue  well into the
future.  The next major crisis is likely to be the impending Hajj to Mecca.
If Jammeh insists on business as usual, rather than leaving it to the Travel
Agents who know better, we may see a repeat of the problems.

Price:  Thanks for your report.

Abdoulaye