GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:29:31 -0500
From http://www.observer.gm

News
NIA, CUSTOMS SHAKEN
By Malick Mboob
Nov 17, 2003, 11:12

Salimina Drammeh
Impeccable sources reaching Daily Observer have disclosed that the director
of operations at the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) and two officials
of department of Customs & Excise, have been relieved of their positions.
Insiders at the NIA headquarters, Banjul confirmed to this paper that
Salimina Drammeh’s service with the NIA was terminated, Friday, November
14. Mr Drammeh is a native of Jarra Kanikunda, a village bordering
Karantaba, the birthplace of Majority Leader, who was himself arraigned in
court, Friday.

Momodou Bojang
An NIA source told Observer yesterday, “This happened on Friday while he
[Salimina] was at work. But I don’t know what led to his sacking.”
Mr Drammeh, a career operative of the agency, succeeded Foday Barry to the
position he just lost following the latter’s redeployment to the police
force.
Meanwhile, Ousman Jobe and Tumbul Drammeh who were reappointed to the
Customs & Excise department as senior officers on September 20, were also
given their marching off orders on the same day. They were reappointed
following the removal of Ousman Mboge and the appointment of Kabba
Tambajang as director-general.
A senior personnel of the department confirmed the removals yesterday but
declined to volunteer further comment. He however said no replacements have
yet been named for the two.
Salimina, Ousman and Tumbul could not be reached for comment over the
weekend.

Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports intimate that the commissioners of North
Bank, Lower River and Central River divisions, Momodou Soma Jobe (a cousin
of Baba Jobe), Suwareh Jabai, and Momodou Bojang were also removed from
their positions.
Contacted for clarification yesterday afternoon, Commissioner Bojang
said: “I have heard the same rumours but I am not officially informed. I
was at the Ministry on Friday until 12 noon but no one informed me about
it. If it is true, I will make it known to the public.”
When contacted, Momodou Soma Jobe also denied knowledge of his removal
saying, “I was not aware of it. As far as I am concerned, I am still the
commissioner. In fact, I am coming from an official meeting.”

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company