GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:05:04 EST
Matarr:
Thanks & well said.

I am a deeply spiritual person myself even though I admit to coming around
full circle as it concerns my devotion to Islam.

However, we should be extremely vigilant about some of the religious
hypocrisy that goes on within our communities.  I for one, will never allow
the religious maniacs to piss on our heads then turn around and tell us it's
raining.  For too long, they have used religion and Islam in particular, to
justify a variety of acts of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Our leaders steal from us, yet the Imams bless them at the mosques and give
them immunity in the eyes of some.  A rich man helps builds a mosque and all
of a sudden, he or she gets all these blessings from religious leaders.  Even
at the grand mosque on Independence drive the Imam at the time would tell us
to pray for Jawara at the end of the Tobaski prayers instead of praying for
the country.

To compound it all, some of the recent series on Islam we have been "graced"
with out here has been so rigid & uninspiring, I have wondered aloud whether
these folks actually know what they are talking about.

Anyways, I should stop rambling and move on now.  Thanks again & to those
that spread intolerance, we shall be waiting