GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:43:47 -0500
Gassama, again you are disgracing yourself.  I hope you realize that the
piece that I am replying to contained NOTHING but hot-air.  You did NOT deny
that the roads are INCOMPLETE.  You also did NOT prove that the major Banjul
roads were built by AFRPC/APRC.  In short, I exposed you as the liar and
sycophant you are.  See what difficulties you are having now that the whole
world know that AFPRC/APRC is PPP and your (AFPRC/APRC) record on
‘development’ is put under a microscope?  Your ‘development’ is NOTHING but
a story of INCOMPLETE projects and completed ones that have the net effect
of rendering our people POORER than they were before AFPRC usurped power
from a democratically government.

You can pray and wish all you want for me to ‘concede’.  I ask you: concede
what?  You want me to concede to your LIES?  Have you ever mentioned here a
‘building’ that the AFPRC/APRC built that I denied existed?  That is absurd.
  Every one knows that that ridiculous Arch exists.  People are then free to
argue about its merits and demerits.  I NEVER said that Kombo Coasatal does
not exist.  What I fault is you or anyone else saying that other roads that
do NOT exist are completed and that is why our people would ignore the
abuses of this illegal government.

From the word go, I knew you misinterpreted Kabir and also misread Sanusi.
I just did not want to point that out because I knew they were in a better
position to speak for themselves.  Fish being out of water is NOT a pleasant
experience.  It means that the fish is out of its natural habitat.
Translated another way, I interpreted Kabir to say that he could NOT
understand why certain Gambians in the country were so gullible to be
‘impressed’ by the AFPRC/APRC ‘development’ (or lack thereof).

See, if Kabir and Sanusi were to come here and say ‘good’ things about
AFPRC/APRC, they would NOT be the first people to have done so and would
certainly not be the last.  Most probably they would NOT hear from me.  Why?
  Because they would probably put things in perspective.  I took exception
to Musa Jeng’s piece NOT because I hate AFPRC/APRC (which I certainly do).
I took exception to his piece because he (like you) ignored salient facts
about the plight (and am not even talking about human rights) of the people
and instead decided to exaggerate AFPRC/APRC ‘developments’.  The man
claimed he went all the way to Kaur.  Even if he just stayed in the urban
area, he would have been exposed to enough suffering to write a book. It was
only later on that he told us that our people are still living in ‘abject
poverty’ despite AFPRC/APRC ‘developments’.  I had to challenge Jeng to get
that out of him.  On his own volition, he was just telling us about
‘first-class’ hospitals, good roads, schools and generators that were in the
pipeline.  Now, tell me if it makes sense to ignore the current REALITY on
the ground and talk about things that may NEVER happen in order to explain
why Gambians ‘support’ Yaya.  What is ‘amazing’ is the length some are
prepared to go in order to rationalize why Yaya ‘wins’ elections.  It is
obvious why he ‘wins’ elections.  He steals elections and he also has
sycophants like Gassama exaggerating his achievements.

Gassama, no one is interested in your silly analogies about pointing loaded
guns at people.  What does that have to do with INCOMPLETE roads?  Let me
tall you what is more analogous.  I have a friend of mine who in 1993 bought
a plot of land at Kerr Serign.  He got someone to draw a brilliant plan for
him to build a house.  My friend bought some sand and cement and got some
7000 blocks.  We are now in 2002.  He still does NOT have a ‘boys’ quarters’
finished let alone a ‘storey-building’.  The moral of the story is that Yaya
and his cohorts can have all these ‘dreams’ in their heads.  Just like my
friend CANNOT claim to have a ‘storey-building’, you CANNOT also claim that
you have a ‘Westfield-Mandinaba Road’.  Moreover, you CANNOT point to that
road (that does not exist) and say that that is why Gambians are willing to
ignore the massacre of our children and vote for Yaya.  The work that has so
far been done on that road mainly came from CSE ‘lending’ money to the
government.  This is in anticipation of a loan or a grant the government is
going to get from external sources.  A sensible voter (which you are not)
would have asked: ‘who is in a better position to get us money to finish
this road’?  ‘Who would NOT steal the money to open Swiss Bank accounts’?
This of course assumes that this road is important to the voter.  The
answers to those questions are what would determine how the voter would
vote; NOT some INCOMPLETE road that has made the voter’s commute harder than
it used to be.  The gimmick by Yaya and CSE giving people the impression
that the road is complete or is going to be completed next month can fool
sycophants like you and people in the Diaspora that willingly swallow your
garbage in the name of tolerance.  That gimmick does NOT fool me and it does
NOT fool Gambians that deliberately wear clothes with dark colors if they
want to travel from Latrikunda Mampatokoto to Westfield.

This is getting longer than I wanted.  But I had to break it down to you to
understand that there is nothing for me to ‘concede’.  My argument has
always been that our people are POORER under AFPRC/APRC despite all their
‘yapping’ about ‘development’.  Can I force you to concede that too?  I know
you are living in denial.  But rest assured that whenever you come to G_L,
you will be confronted with the truths you want to run away from.  Your
government is NOT good for us.  They kill our children, abduct innocent
Gambians, burn down people’s houses, steal millions of dollars from poor
Gambians and engage in ‘development’ projects that have the net effect of
rendering our people POORER.
KB