GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 10:30:09 EDT
Nordam,

Thank you for your comments about the way forward for The Gambia after Yaya.
You raised some very important issues which Gambians and all peace loving
friends of The Gambia should be thinking about. I posted a piece a few days
ago entitled: MEMORANDUM: RESTORATION OF DEMOCRACY THE 1ST 100 DAYS in which
we addressed some of your issues and promised to send follow-up pieces. We
invite discussion on these issues. Regrettably, the discussion started
yesterday in a rather negative light when someone purporting to be Mr. Demba
Jawo posted something on this subject. I want to take this opportunity to
extend my sincere apologies to Mr. Jawo and hope and pray that nothing
negative befall him as a result of that posting.
You touched on the issue of elections. Frankly, apart from a few issues,
there is nothing wrong with our electoral laws. It is the way the laws are
applied and the people who administer those laws that need a lot of fixing.
We can have very transparent elections in The Gambia by first of all making
sure that: (1) the registration process works. That would involve making
sure that all Gambians 18 years and over are given a fair opportunity to
register and vote. This should not be a problem. The size of the country and
our neighborliness would minimize the risks of non-Gambians registering to
vote. The safeguards that are going to be put in place would be very
comprehensive. (2) There would be a level playing field where every
political party would be able to campaign freely without intimidation. Even
Yaya's party would not be banned. However, anyone under the cloud of
investigations (for certain illegal activities committed during the Yaya
regime) would not be allowed to run for office. (3) We would ensure that
voting is carried out in a transparent manner. Every candidate will have
representatives present at every polling booth together with law enforcement
officials. These representatives will also be present when votes are
counted. (4) Mechanisms will be put in place to deal with all elections
irregularities swiftly. Election petitions will be filed with the Chief
Justice of The Gambia and he or she has to deal with the petitions
forthwith.
I can go on and on about having a transparent electoral process to ensure
free and fair elections but I want to invite debate and get other people's
perspectives on this very important issue.
We do not have a shortage of people who can rule Gambia. It used to be a
common and dangerous saying in Gambia during the Jawara regime: "who will
lead us after Jawara?" We got the answer in Yaya. As we explained in our May
3, 2000 piece, we prefer that the leaders of the interim government be
Gambians with no political aspirations. We believe that it is only then that
we can have a smooth and real transition. After that, it is up to the
Gambian people to choose our leader through a free and fair election
process.
I will take this opportunity to also say that it is extremely important that
this time around we entrench in our constitution a provision for term limits
for all elected positions. We should make sure that these provisions will
only be changed through a referendum where 75% of the voting population
supports it. Again, we invite debates on these issues and want to assure you
and everyone else that there are dedicated and able Gambians who are ready
to step up and take over after WE GET RID OF YAYA BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.