GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 01:35:31 GMT
Mr. Jassey,

I agree with everything you've said about Yaya. However, we need to be
honest when it comes to assessing our leaders. I believe Jawara is a decent
person. But he was a terrible leader. His record -to say the very least, is
a disgrace. For people like Boto Jaiteh to even dare sell Jawara to Gambians
after all this time, is a serious insult. I had only ten minutes to reply to
his posting before I stepped out to go to work. I would have really roasted
this guy. But, I'm glad others have summoned the courage to jar him awake.

Regarding a common ground, I'm all for it as long as we'll establish rules
based on truth, and fairness. Anything less, I'm out. Why? Because if all we
care about is getting rid of Yaya, a few years down the road, we'll be
dealing with the same mess under a different "leader." So, instead of
spending all our energies on getting Yaya out, let's devote some to figuring
out the optimum system we ought to have in place. How about a system that
makes the presidency less powerful, or attractive? Things on that line.
Otherwise, it will always be a case of old wine in new bottles. Always keep
that in mind.

Good night.

Saul.