GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fye samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 14:12:09 +0200
> INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PAN-AFRICAN REPARATIONS FOR GLOBAL JUSTICE
> SET FOR
> ACCRA, GHANA,
> JULY 21 to AUGUST 2, 2006
>
> March 15, 2006: Black people from around the world, Afro-descendants,
African Descendants, Afrikan Americans, Afrikan Ascendants, and Afrikans by
the various names they call themselves will gather in Accra, the capital
city of Ghana, from July 21st to August 2, 2006 for an International
Conference. The theme: Create the Future! Transformation, Reparations,
Repatriation, and Reconciliation.

> Ghana is ideal for such an important conference. As Pan African
reparations work used to be at the heart of the local, national, and
international policies pursued by the government of its first president,
Osagyefo Kwame Nkruma with the support of great historic figures like W.E.B.
Dubois, Aime Ashford Garvey, Malcolm X, George Padmore, Ras Makonnen, Franz
Fanon, John Henrick Clarke among others. We welcome the continuity of
efforts in this direction by Ghanaian progressive forces at home and abroad,
and applaud the support of the current government of President J.A. Kuffour
for the Joseph Project.

> The conference was called to assess the Global Pan African reparations
movement as preparations are being made not only to celebrate the 50th
Anniversary of the 1957 Proclamation of the Independence of Ghana, but also
for the commemoration of the Bicentenary of the British Abolition of the
Slave Trade Act of 1807. The year 2007 will mark 200 years since the British
Empire officially ended the trafficking in captive Africans for enslavement
throughout the British Empire. For the United States, the year is 2008.
After wresting its freedom from Britain and declaring itself a new nation,
the founding fathers protected its international practice of trafficking in
African captives until 1808 by codifying it in the U.S. Constitution. U.S.
domestic trafficking and forced breeding to offset the loss from
international trafficking continued until 1865, almost a century.

> The conditions in Africa, and for dispersed Africans, for the past 1000
years, are rooted in greed, and the continuous gang-raping of Africa by
Arabs, Europeans, fortune hunters, and purveyors of assorted religions that
enjoy the political and military backing of their governments, says Bankie
of the GAC, Namibia. Sababu Shabaka, Co-Chair of the National Coalition of
Blacks for Reparations in America's International Affairs Commission (NIAC),
asks, rhetorically, Where are we in the USA on the eve of the 200
Anniversary? For the naked truth, we need only look at the shameful
unnecessary loss of lives during Hurricane Katrina as officials watched and
dared others to help, and then criminalized those who helped themselves. We
need only look at the concentration camps called prisons, the disparate drug
and death sentencing, and the flooding of drugs and guns in our impoverished
communities

> How does one acknowledge the occasion that speaks to the Maafa,
Maangamizi-Holocaust of African Enslavement? Some of us have personally
committed to a Material Fast. We will buy Black and abstain from buying
anything except absolute necessities until the end of 2008. We honour the
lives of those sacrificed on the alter of greed and materialism by creating
a future worthy of the 1000 years of pain, suffering and sacrifice. This
conference is a step in creating that future, says Queen Mother Dorothy
Benton Lewis, former National Co-Chair of N'COBRA and North American
Regional Co-Representative to the GAC. It is the imperative of people of
good will everywhere to expose the whole truth and ensure that those
responsible are held accountable for the worst and longest running crime
against humanity in human history. With an understanding of that history,
people will understand that our contemporary experience is just a continuum
of the same, says Raushana Karriem of All for Reparations and Emancipation
(AFRE).

> Esther Stanford, of the Pan Afrikan Reparations Coalition of Europe
(PARCOE), states International law recognizes that those who commit crimes
against humanity must make reparations, restitution, compensation, damages
and all the necessary legal redress. Yet the governments, companies and
families of the USA, Canada, and all of Europe whose wealth is directly
related to the chattel, colonial and neo-colonial enslavement of Africans
from the past into the present, are silent on the issue, and will remain
silent until we force the truth out in the open.

> According to Kwaku Duren of the New Black Panther Vanguard, an
organizational' Co-sponsor, We are looking forward to promoting a dialogue
within the global' reparations movement about international capital and its
origins, the demise of' capitalism as we know it, and the new world-wide
movement for a new economic' order. A key expected outcome is world-wide
programmatic framework, or simply a' Plan, which would allow the
International Reparations Movement to develop and' coordinate mutually
supportive activities and tasks that promote Transformation,' Reparations,
Repatriation, and Reconciliation among continental Africans and'
Afro-descendants throughout the Diaspora.

> Kofi Mawuli Klu of the Pan-Afrikan Forum of Ghana, (PAFOG), UK chapter
says, This conference will be an eye opener in showing African people that
we are one family in the Continent and the Diaspora in our fight against a
common oppressor. This conference will demonstrate that without true
reparations and Pan-African unity in this contemporary world of heightening
imperialist globalisation, there is no viable solution to any problems faced
by continental and Diasporan Afrikans in all spheres of life at local,
national, and international levels. We will develop an action plan which
will be influential in asserting to the African Union and our other
representatives that the best representation and accountability are required
from them internally and on the world stage.

> We are also planning visits to historic sites in Ghana and Benin including
the Slave Castles where Europeans kept Africans in Dungeons, in sub-human
conditions before transporting them to Europe and the Americas. We are busy
promoting the conference and mobilizing community organizations to
participate in this historic event. says Sistah IMAHKUS of One Africa,
another Pan Afrikan organization, and author of Returning Home Ain't Easy,
But It Sure Is A Blessing.

> Sistah IMAHKUS is a repatriated African Ascendant born in the USA. She
further stated, We as Afrikans born in the Americas (North America, Europe,
South America & the Caribbean) are returning to one of the scenes of the
crimes perpetuated against our families, friends and loved ones. The
gravitational pull of Ascendants of African ancestors lost and kidnapped
during the Trans-Atlantic Arab European Slave Trade, will be returning in
their numbers to continue to plan and demand restitution for the crimes
against Mother Africa and her children; crimes against humanity.

> Nana Gypei III, of SUCARDIF, an indigenous Pan African organization based
in Ghana, and Co-Facilitator of the Conference: Through the Tower of Return
Monument Project, we wish to show the world that Africa wants its sons and
daughters to return home mentally, spiritually, and economically. The Ghana
Government is launching the Joseph Project, which is an invitation to the
African Diaspora of descendants of enslaved Africans to return to Africa
through Ghana. This Global Pan Afrikan Reparations Conference will bring
together some of the best minds in the reparations movement from the African
Diaspora and the continent. We are calling on the African Union leadership,
Director of African Affairs, as well as African originations worldwide to
come and be part of this Conference.

> Individuals and organizations that support the aims of the conference are
requested to support the cost of the conference whether or not in
attendance. Donors will be listed. Those who wish to be Co-Sponsors will be
invited to participate on the planning committee. The comprehensive
logistical planning is in its final stages and arrangements will be
announced shortly. Transportation, accommodations and estimated living costs
will be made available to all of the area coordinating teams for local
distribution. Please contact Queen Mother Dorothy Benton Lewis
(240-277-5140) or Sababu Shabaka at 410-979-9558. Donations and
Co-Sponsorship may be made payable to NCOBRA-Ghana 2006. P.O. Box 90604,
Washington, DC 20090-0604. In Ghana, contact
> Nana Kweku Egyir Gyepi III at 777 One Power Station P.O. Box CT 732 Cape
Coast Ghana. Cell 011 233 20 833 5571 or 011 233 243 834032.