GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"MORRO K. CEESAY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:50:57 -0700
Gambia-L:

As the current rancor concerning what is permissible speech spirals out
of control, perhaps talk of an objective happy medium regulating speech
will ultimately prove illusive.  May be we just ought to let people
speak their minds.

At the heart of speech and its regulation lies, or in the least ought to
lie, the careful balance between the need to speak and the need to
maintain a level of decorum proper to civil society.  What that proper
level is, has been testing the wisdom and provoking the rave of men for
centuries.  I doubt anyone here will come up with an objective standard
for regulation and if they do, I doubt we will agree upon it.  If we do,
I can bet my fortunes, little as they are, its application will surely
have a pernicious effect on this forum.

But should we persist in the quest here on Gambia-L, perhaps, first
there ought to be a discussion as to why the forum exists; and through
its short history, the purpose it has served.  For example, does the
forum serve as a substitute for the democracy we all yearn for on the
African continent? We have plenty of censorship on the continent, what
has that served?  We can surely draw the balance sheet for each model.

Even offensive speech may serve a purpose rooted in virtue - venomous
speech could be therapeutic.  The spew of venom without restraint
defuses passions, so it goes.  It becomes a substitute for unconsidered
action, terrible and dreadful. If one may not speak, one will act, and
often with a sword. And this is not the sword of reasoned Justice, but
that of revolution fierce and indiscriminate.  So let them be purged of
their venom; let them speak.

This is not to say restraint of speech is improper.  But restraint must
be measured - very measured.   It may test the patience of managers on
this List, but perhaps "dickhead" "asshole" "fuckface""bitch" "witch"
and other words of the same genre are mere nuisance compared to the
blood and tears their censorship may engender.  They are but words
streaming across cyberspace.  My computer's delete key is functional.  I
do not fear the rantings and ravings of lesser (or greater) men,
especially across cyberspace.  What I do fear is their schemes if denied
this outlet.

Morro