GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:26:09 +0000
Joe, whoever wrote this article is missing the point, the type of suffering
he alludes to Jawara can be seen to affect all those that were with him, so
for him to abandone them without any effort of negotiations to extend the
same amnesty is both disheartening and egoistic. It is understandable that
exile can be tough, but the assertion 0f dignity supercedes and this is what
distinguishes genuine strugglers from the fake ones.

The pursuit of the logic posed by the Independent editor will naturally make
us all opportunists. Can't this author not see the need for national
reconcilliation to extend beyond Jawara, how many people were with Jawara
and are experincing more hardship than he was? So for him to accept whatever
offer excluding his mate is really incomprehensible to say the least. The
least he should have done was make a statement and express his wish for the
amnesty to cover his mates, but being the sly and dubious fox he has always
been, he enterd into secret arrangements to the  exclusion of his former
colleagues.

Can you imagine how the families of Saihou Sabally, Ndow Njie, Mr. Bob Sarah
Janha, B.b Darbo and numerous other people would fell, they must be reeling
with both frustration and anger, after all Jawara has left themn in limbo,
they must brace them selves for a long exile, they nhave lost the only
negotiating piece they had. Jawara's actions to say the least are a
disgrace, he should be very ashamed of himself.

I hope the Jammeh regime will use widom and announce an unconditional
general amnesty, an amnesty that will cover all hitherto politicians, this
way we can say reconcilliation is genuine, but as long as there are those
former PPP members who still fear persecution then there is still a long way
to reconcilliation.

I hope Darbo qand OJ unlike waa-juwara will make a statement renouncing any
political affinity to Jawara and hence map a new route to their political
quest. Any further pretence that Jawara is still their figure-head leader
must be consigned to history. Jawara has betrayed such a hope or notion.