GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harona S Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 16:09:42 -0500
Clarifications are in place, since some seem to misunderstand my stance
vis-a-vis party politics in the Gambia. My professed neutrality stems from
the fact that, being publicly associated with a political party may/will
have a negative impact on the way i'm perceived by my
audience/readers/viewers, as the case may be. Oh yes, there are big
Journalists who openly associate and are affiliated with party politics. If
you ask me, i'd say, it's unethical. But again, this might be one of my
infamous opinions, but then, it's my opinion.

In my book, there is no such thing as a 100% neutral person. It is human to
associate/like/dislike. It is equally human to be interested in the affairs
of governance and how it affects the livelihood of citizens. To this end, i
will be foolish to not want to participate in that process. Needless to say,
in my own private thoughts and in discussions with family, my position is
clearly stated without doubt. Further, i did in the past, and will continue
to condemn unjust acts by persons whether as politicians or otherwise,
particularly, when such acts are perpetrated on political grounds or for
reasons of politics. This is not opposing or embracing a party, but rather,
the act.

I hope the air is cleared.
Good sunday afternoon.
Harona/Phi-A-Horana