GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:03:08 +0100
Yus and Minos

Its too early for us to make judgement. If you people
think Yahya Jammeh is going to have an easy ride then
lets wait and see. I understand APRC have been off
late making a lot of noise;

(1) claiming that some so called Council of Elders
have nominated Yahya to be their Presidential
Candidate;

(2) that some hundreds of UDP supporters have defected
to APRC.

The truth of the matter is that Yahya will have to
sweat harder this time to secure 50% of the total
votes. According to my source, people are just
following the bandwagon in order to avoid being
victimized.I don't blame when you have the Notorious
Intelligence Agency involved in making up stories
against the opposition about alleged coup plots.
 We saw how Ajim Fatou Mbenga defected to APRC, an
alleged coup plotter was forcedto join APRC or else a
miserable time at Mile II . As for the likes of Saihou
Sisay and Musu Kebba Drammeh; to call these two
opportunist as defectors is a total insult to those
who genuinely switch allegiance. Neither of them were
ever associated with the opposition. It is true that
they were one time PPP sympathisers, have you ever
heard them giving speeches under either the UDP, NRP,
or PDIOS platform.  These people joined APRC for their
own interest and we wish them good luck. With an
electoral register of  over 400,000 voters, it would
be foolish to indicate that Yahya has won the
elections owing to massive defections. The Gambia
people are not mad having seen Yahya failed them
miserable and all it is waiting from the opposition is
a clever strategy to unseat him.

Your reference to the America Tour by UDP Officials is
a bit harsh. You know as a fact that only 3 out of 15
or more NEC members are taking part in this tour, the
rest are currently in the Gambia facilitating the
groundwork. We therefore have to wish them luck in
that aspect. Remember that Yahya campaigned for 2
years but only secured 53% of the votes in a
fraudulent elections( Remember-Decree 89)However,
Darboe campaigned for 10 days, to make it precise, and
captured 36 % of the votes. Although the political
situation has changed now, I still believe that Yahya
could be defeated easily in the polls if a proper
electoral strategy is in place for the opposition

By the way have any of you read the latest on NAYCONF
AND THE TRUST BANK? read Daily Observer for
clarification. Here I see a party claiming to have
captured most of the UDP supporters so scared to see
the Yellow colour. I smell the dead rat here that they
are still not confident with their popularity and that
should indicate that there is a lot to win before we
surrender the towel to Yahya.

On that note lets put heads together and assist the
opposition in its task to unseat Yahya Jammeh and the
APRC.

Come October 2001, Gambia must be free as Yahya must
go.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi