GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:05:07 -0700
Ginny,
  It is good to fwd. articles/papers in here. However, I hope you will take back  to an individual/group any reactions too.
  First of all, in the Gambia, all the polls were closed at the same time. Therefore, no psycholigal effect can be done for announcing one area ahead of the other.Imagine what the oppostion would have said if all votes were counted and wiated for fix time to announce them all. More over, the Foni's were not announced early. They came in late. So that was not only false, but making up stories.
  I think it makes sense for the opposition to recheck their supporters and see if they really voted or if they voted for them. Again, this might be difficult but not impossible. For anyone to say that there were less than registered voters who voted and yet tens of thousands from Casamance were registered in the Foni's, may be only those regsitered from the Foni's voted then. If less than 60% of the registered voters voted, how come Jammeh won in EVERY single area? He did not win only in Foni. The guy won even in Badibu and Bakau.
  I have seen some suggestions that the military voted in Bakau. Anyone who knows the Gambia knows that the biggest military camp is in Bakau. Do we expecet someone from Basse who is a military officer stationed in Bakau to go to Basse to vote?
  Now, let us all be real here. If Jammeh had won only a few constituencies, may be some of the arguments can be validated. For any Gambian to call the Gambians to the street because their relative did not win the Presidential elections is the most disrespect of Gambian electorates. And this is one reason why the opposition could not win. It is this kind of feeling that a few leaders of the oppostion think they are better than the rest of the Gambia either because they are more educated or have better opportunities in life. It is call ARROGANCE or IGNORANCE in English.
  Another thing the very few, and I must say, the very few of opposition supporters on cyberspace who felt that the Gambian poeple did not make the right choice may need to go on the ground and help. It would be very interesting to see here how many of them even contributed a dollar to what they believe in. I must admit, I respect the few who not only talk but act on what the believe and not just be a tiger-keyboard.
  Thank you.
  Alieu.