GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin B Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:02:37 EST
Thank you Mr.Ebriama Ceesay for that brialliant piece clearifying the Kanu
contract saga.  I believe that all those who are not very clear about the
whole issue now know what is all  about and that they have realised that Kanu
was not trying to be greedy nor wanted to leave Arsenal.

Football has now reached a stage where it is a business entity.Club owners
are making money out of players in a lot of ways,such as transfer fees,TV
rights,ripelica kits and a host of other ventures.On the other hand players
are demanding huge pay deals when they feel that they are worth more than
what they are getting.This is evident in a recent saga involving the
Manchester skipper Irishman Roy Keane who has demanded a £50,000 a week  in
wages.

This and will continue to affect the world of football unless Chairmen(club
owners),managers administrators all come together to address the situation
before it gets out of hand.Recent controversial transfer issues will suffice
this agruement.  The cases of  former Arsenal French stirker, Nikolas
Anilka,Former Leeds United Dutch stiker Jimmy Floyd Hasslebeink and a host of
others are evidence of the fact that both players want financial gains as far
as football is concerned.

My arguement is that club owners should be realistic enough to reach an
agreement that will make players happy to do their job and to be happy where
they are because if the players are happy,this will mean more positive
results for the clubs.It is a fact that clubs are making money by reaching
/qualifying for a certain competition or winning a certain trophy.

Therefore i believe the so-called pay structures should be disregarded when
it comes to players who have improve and are doing the business for the
club.The more you deliver,the more your contract should be reviewed.This will
increase competition and better results.In other words,players should be
treated based on their merit no matter who is receiving what.

I have been an Arsenal fan since i came to this country and have been
following the English premiership to the very last minute. If things are done
in the most appropriate manner,a lot of things would not have gone the way
they have . Kanu has been my favourite skriker since his days at Ajax
Amsterdam, Inter and finally to Arsenal my favourite team in the
world.However i believe he deserves a reasonalbe pay rise although quite
frankly the reported £40 grand a week said to have been demanded by Kanu
and/or his agents is unrealistic!

Good day everyone.
Lamin B Jammeh
Slough