GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 16:45:02 +0000
Folks, this is one of the reasons why Gambia is sinking while our neighbors
are making strides to uplift their people.  Why don't this government for a
change use the energy it expends trying to suppress expression, and spend it
on uplifting the people who put them there?  This is a sign that the days
for this criminal enterprise is nearing.  Just like Jawara and his Military
Vision, if Yaya thinks that those jet fighters are going to protect him from
the people, then I have news for him.  Whatever he intends to use those
clunkers for would be used on him.  How ridiculous could these people sink.
People are poorer that church mice, and what does these clowns do?  Where is
the budget for these relics?  That is what Gambians want to know and no
twisting and turning would let you off the hook.  Let him and his fools
think that they can tame the people.  I have seen more vicious and callous
thugs run out of town and he is not going to be the last.  Please read on.

From The Point

Govt Wants To Arrest Us - Ousainou Darboe

The leader of the United Democratic Party (UDP) Ousainou Darboe, has said
that the Jammeh government is planning to arrest him and some of his party
officials following his condemnation of the jet fighter purchased by the
government, which he described as totally uncalled for and a waste.
Addressing journalists yesterday at a press conference at the UDP bureau in
Banjul, the UDP leader, who quoted sources within State House, said his
statement on the jet fighter was not highly welcomed by the Jammeh
government, prompting the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs Baboucarr
Blaise Jagne to summon members of the diplomatic community to draw attention
and issue a form of protest about his statement.

While describing Secretary of State Jagne’s move as an attempt to clamp down
on the Gambia’s Opposition particularly the United Democratic Party, the
former coalition flag bearer told journalists that no amount of intimidation
or arrest would make them deviate from their quest to restore democracy, the
rule of law and good governance in The Gambia. Regarding the alleged move by
the ruling APRC to get him and his party officials arrested, Mr. Darboe
added “I have my sources from within the State House that the government of
the Gambia is so incensed about my statement on the jet that they have plans
to have me arrested; not only me, but other leaders of the UDP and some of
the coalition partners.”

According to him, the government believes that his statement on the jet
fighter was intended to mar the good relationship between the Gambia and
Senegal, which he strongly rejected. “Of course, we asked very legitimate
questions. No one can attack the Gambia, externally without going through
Senegalese airspace, the Senegalese territorial waters or the Senegalese
land territory. It is impossible for any external aggression and it is not
the type of thing that anyone should use against its citizen” said Mr.
Darboe. The UDP leader also argued that there was no budgetary allocation
for the purchase of the jet since July of 1994, when the 30 years old PPP
administration was toppled by President Jammeh.

He challenged President Jammeh to explain to Gambians where he got the funds
for the jet, which he argued the Gambia did not need as the average Gambian
is living in abject poverty, characterised by the non payment of farmers’
nuts. Describing President Jammeh as a man who prides himself as an apostle
of peace, the UDP leader said the Gambian leader should in fact be talking
to African leaders to spend on social and economic development programmes
rather than investing on jet fighters.

Darboe, observed that even if the jet fighter was a gift from any country,
the most sensible thing for the government to do was to convert the money to
combat HIV/AIDS, which he said is high on government’s agenda. “So the whole
purpose of summoning the diplomats is to tell them... here, look, if we pick
up Mr. Darboe, don’t be surprised because he has said something which he
ought not to have said” said lawyer Darboe, paraphrasing Jagne. Mr. Darboe
also announced that the youth wing of his party who planned to embark on a
nationwide tour were denied permit by the police, an action he said was
purely meant to clamp down on Gambia’s biggest opposition party.

Darboe vowed to challenge the permit denial in the courts and that if the
law does not come to their aid justifiably, they would resort to self-help.
When asked what he meant by self help, Darboe said, “We will be exercising
our constitutional rights. We will not be defying anybody. It is those who
are denying the permit who are defying. We are not in defiance. We will be
merely exercising our constitutional and legal rights”.
When further quizzed by this reporter whether he was worried by the alleged
moves by the government to get him and his party officials arrested, Darboe
said “I know that the life of a politician is full of hazards. In 1996, when
I decided in consultations with the members of my family and friends, I
decided that I am going into it, we accepted all the consequences, all the
risks of it. So I am not worried at all. The UDP leader rejected criticism
that he is being paranoid by making such a statement that there were moves
to get him arrested by the government, adding “It is the government that is
paranoid by trying to clamp down on the UDP.”

Thursday, May 30, 2002

  Don’t Arrest Him

Yes! This is our injunction to the Jammeh regime as a result of the serious
revelation made yesterday by the UDP leader Ousainou Darboe. The
Constitution provides for political diversity and the UDP and any other
party that complies with the registration requirements has a right to exist.
The Constitution also provides for freedom of expression more so as regards
what we would call counter-powers, meaning political parties, human rights
organisations, religious bodies, the media etc.

Therefore, we do not see why Darboe should be threatened for something he
might have said about the way the country is being run. All our high ranking
personalities watch BBC World or CNN and see how the above bodies react to
their government’s governance track record on a daily basis. Or must The
Gambia be an island? An island secluded from the rest of the world? We do
not think that, that is what Jammeh, Darboe, Bah, Jatta or other Gambian
leaders want for this country. Don’t arrest him is our message to the Jammeh
administration if that is their intention.

Now, on to the threat. Why should Darboe blow the whistle about his
impending arrest? Some months ago, precisely in the beginning of the Basse
murder case trial, there was also this rumour that people wanted to see him
behind bars pending the outcome of the trial. The matter led to some serious
tension at the High Court but Allah saved us from a confrontation whose
outcome could have been desastrous. How should one view Darboe’s warning?
Can it be taken for granted? Is there any currency in the claim? Why not? As
the man is a leader of a political party, he must be cognisant with the
far-reaching impact of his statements. Why tell Gambians and the world at a
specially convened press conference?

The man must have taken the matter very seriously to the point of letting
all and sundry know of the plan of his political opponents. Can his sources
be trusted on this score? One must however consider the incongruity of such
a proposed action by the authorities. A leader of a political party has the
right to pass judgements on all governance aspects and one has the latitude
to voice out an opinion regarding the issue of the Jet Fighter. We in fact
did and never expected to be arrested by anybody. Now, another politician
would have informed his or her close aides and wait to see the action
carried out as the arrest of the leader of a political party cannot go
unnoticed both locally or internationally. Such news would travel in matter
of seconds like a Jet into homes, offices, streets, towns, cities,
neighbouring countries, and world capitals and to the UN. Lets look at the
reason.

We said we wrote our views on the Jet and are yet to be threatened with
arrest or killing. And we think that before carrying out the arrest of a
former presidential candidate, a government must have solid indicting
material to prosecute such a move likely to be condemned the world over.
What about the timing? Is it really the time for the APRC to arrest anybody
now that their Special Guest is said to be on its way home? The timing…Yes
one must think about the timing. But maybe Darboe has good reasons to alert
Gambia and the world to tell them he is in danger.

Yes danger, as that must be the only reason that led to this whistle blowing
exercise. It is a SOS (not SOS for minister here but Save Our Soul) the
country and the world and for us, this plainly translates as follows: “Do
not allow these people to flout the law to keep me in a tight corner”.
Jammeh leave the man alone! “You cannot subvert your neighbour’s rights
without striking a dangerous blow at your own.” Carl Shurz