GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:54:10 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  32/2008, 17 – 18 March 2008

Editorial
On The Allegation of  Killings of Ghanaians
In The Gambia
Transparency Essential!
Since we  are yet to get the reaction of the Gambia Government on the
allegation of mass  killings of Ghanaians by Gambian security forces, there is little
one can say at  this stage.
Needless to say, the allegation is serious and requires serious  attention,
especially, given the number of persons alleged to have been killed.  In our
opinion, simple denial of the statement would not suffice. When one’s  hands are
clean transparency helps to clear him/her of wrong doing. A  spokesperson for
the Ghanaian ministry of foreign affairs has indicated that an  international
investigative committee under the auspices of the UN and ECOWAS  has been
established to independently investigate the allegation. One would  expect that
cooperation with such a committee to clear one’s name is the wisest  thing to
do under the circumstance.
Furthermore, keeping quiet solves no  problem. Making a clear statement on
the position of the government on the  matter is essential.

Ghanaians Protest Over Purported Killings In  Gambia
On Wednesday, 12 March, 2008, the families of 44 Ghanaians took to the
streets of Accra to demonstrate against what they regarded as their government’s
lack of communication to them on issues relating to reports of the murder of 44
 Ghanaians in The Gambia.
A Ghanaian who claimed to have escaped from The  Gambia has alleged that 50
nationals of Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo were  murdered by Gambian
security forces in 2005. We regard this as an allegation  until the facts emerge.
The demonstration was aimed at putting pressure on  the Ghanaian government
to take urgent action on the matter. The Ghanaian  protestors were not
satisfied with the manner in which their government has been  handling the matter.
They feel their government has not done enough, nor have  they informed them on
what actions are being taken.
The demonstration was  led by the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative
(CHRI), an international NGO,  and the Gambian Task Force, which was formed by
Ghanaians in Ghana to deal with  this matter. It commenced at the CHRI office and
ended at the Ministry of  Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and NEPAD,
where speeches were delivered.
According to news reports, a spokesperson of the Ministry told the families
that apart from the many local and international efforts made by the Ghanaian
Government, an investigative committee, comprising the United Nations,
African  Union, Economic Community of West African States and International Red
Cross,  has been established to independently investigate the allegation. This he
said  was a result of a meeting held in Ouagadougou under the auspices of the
UN and  ECOWAS. He expressed the conviction that with the investigative
committee now in  place, the Gambia government is expected to sit down and talk
about the issue.  The demonstrators are said to have worn T-shirts with
inscription: “Seeking  Justice” and to have held placards some of which read: “Justice
Delayed Is  Justice Denied”, “Killers Must Be Brought To Justice”.
This reporter visited  the Secretary of State for the Interior on Friday to
get him to react to these  press reports but he was then at the airport.
Foroyaa will continue its effort  to get the reaction of the government.

Exiled Gambian  Journalist Alleges Attempted Kidnapping
Yaya Dampha, a former Foroyaa  reporter, who is in exile in Senegal, has
alleged that on Monday, 10 March, 2008  he escaped an attempt by three men to
kidnap him. He told Foroyaa that on that  Monday afternoon, two men entered his
residence and knocked on his door. When  they asked the other residents of the
home for him the two men were told that  they did not know his whereabouts. He
went on to say that when he came out he  was approached by the two men who
invited him to go with them to discuss an  urgent matter. He said when he refused
a third man came whom he claimed he  recognized as a security agent. He
further alleged that they subsequently tried  to force him into a pick up vehicle
but he shouted for help. Soon the other  residents rushed out and as they did
the “kidnappers” quickly jumped into their  vehicle and drove off.
Yaya Dampha was one of the witnesses who testified at  the ECOWAS Community
Court in Abuja, Nigeria in the case of Chief Ebrima Manneh  of Daily Observer,
who is said to have been arrested since July, 2006.
Dampha and several other witnesses who testified for the plaintiff, had
mentioned five state agents of The Gambia as having played various roles in the
arrest and detention of Manneh.
The alleged attempt to kidnap Dampha occurred  the day before the agents were
expected to appear before the ECOWAS  court.
Dampha told MFWA that prior to the attempt, he had been receiving
threatening phone calls and his neighbours were also being questioned by agents.  Yaya
Dampha, has alleged harassment since being arrested along side Amnesty
International delegates during a research mission on 6 October 2007. He was  released
without charge on 12 October, 2007 but repeated visits to his home and
harassment of his family members forced him to flee the country soon after.
Amnesty International delegates Tania Bernath and Ayodele Ameen, Foroyaa
Newspaper journalist Yaya Dampha, and their driver Lamin Barrow were arrested in
the eastern town of Basse on 6 October, 2007, whilst visiting detention
centres  throughout The Gambia. The four were accused of being spies. After 48
hours in  detention both Amnesty International delegates and Yaya Dampha were
released on  bail but told to remain in the capital, Banjul. All three were
unconditionally  released without charge on 12 October 2007.

The Independent Asked  To Collect Properties
By Saikou Ceesay
Mr. Madi Ceesay, the Managing  Director of the Independent Newspaper, has
informed this paper that the  Independent Newspaper has been asked to collect its
properties at its head  office at Kanifing South, along Radio Gambia Road.
This development came on the  heels of a suit filed by the proprietor of the
property housing the Independent  Newspaper asking the court to order the state
to leave the premises. However,  the plaintiff and the defendant later settled
the matter out of court. A  representative of the plaintiff informed this
paper that the state has handed  over the keys of the premises to the plaintiff.
Speaking to this paper, the  managing director of the Independent Newspaper,
Mr. Madi Ceesay, said he had  received a telephone called from Amie Bensouda’s
chambers asking them to collect  their properties from the premises.
Mr. Ceesay narrated that since the  closure of the paper they have no proper
dialogue with the authorities. He  indicated that he had fixed an appointment
with the former Inspector General of  Police, Musa Mboob, as to how they can
create dialogue in a bid to reopen the  Independent Newspaper. He noted that
their efforts failed to bear fruit as the  authorities were not accommodative. “
If we have access to our materials, like  the printing machine, computers,
printers and other stuffs in the market which  are capable of printing a
newspaper, we will operate,” said Mr. Ceesay.
In  the same vain, he stated that the paper was not closed by any court order
and  that the license has not been revoked. He stated that technically the
paper is a  registered Newspaper that can function. “We have no access to our
materials, if  these materials are available the Independent Newspaper will come
back to  press,” he added.
Mr. Ceesay reiterated that as far as the paper’s license is  not revoked, it
is a legal entity that can practice in this country. He further  complained
that the office of the Independent Newspaper is sealed off by the  police who
barred them from access to their office.
To this end, he promised  that one day Independent Newspaper would come back
to news  stands.

ENHANCED AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION:
AN INEVITABLE  NECESSITY FOR OUR SURVIVAL
THE 13TH ANNUAL W.A.E.C. ENDOWMENT FUND  LECTURE
presented by THE RT. REV. DR. S. TILEWA JOHNSON
BISHOP OF GAMBIA  on 10th March 2008, Banjul, The Gambia
Chairman of Council, Honourable  Secretaries of State, Members of the
National Assembly, Members of the  Diplomatic and Consular Corps, Members of Council,
Registrar to Council, Staff  of Council, Friends of Council, Venerable
Religious Leaders, Esteemed Award  Winners, Members of the 4t” Estate, Students,
Ladies and  Gentlemen.

INTRODUCTION
It is my great pleasure and high  privilege to be presenting the 13th Annual
Endowment Fund Lecture of the West  African Examinations Council (WAEC).

We start by congratulating  WAEC on more than 50 years of operation; during
which time they have become an  integral part of the system that has guided
education in our country - The  Gambia - as well as in Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra
Leone and Liberia. WAEC’s work in  developing syllabuses for examination, and the
administering of examinations  themselves, has been a key part of the process
of educational development in our  nations. WAEC indeed “is West Africa’s
foremost examining board established by  law to determine the examinations
required in the public interest in the English  speaking West African countries, to
conduct examinations and to award  certificates compare to those of
equivalent examining authorities  internationally”. This is, and has been, the case for
over half of a  century.

However, the approved wording of WAEC’s Corporate profile  also makes this
pronouncement: “By this mandate, the Council is expected to:  assist in the
development of sound education”, among other vital things, such as  maintaining “
educational standards” and giving West Africans “a vision of great
potentials which lie beyond examinations”.

This Lecture aims at  appealing to this “development of sound education”
aspect of the noble mandate  of WAEC, as it touches on agricultural education.
Agricultural education is an  area of study which is arguably most relevant to
the felt needs of our  sub-region which, by and large, depends on an
agrarian-based economy, yet we are  neither food sufficient, nor food secure. By the end
of this Lecture, it is my  ardent hope and prayer that syllabus developers,
educators, researchers and  examiners alike, will be convinced of the need do
everything possible to lift,  to elevate agriculturerelated subjects taught in
our schools and examined by  WAEC, from the near bottom of the WAEC
examinations performance “league table”  to a more respectable and deserving position
among the first six on the said  “league table”. I shall also be giving
indications that Agricultural education  should be among the core subjects we teach
and examine, if the clarion call  contained in the ECOWAS Common Agricultural
Policy (ECOWAP) should be taken  seriously. This will be one of the greatest
direct contributions of WAEC in the  actualisation of the ECOWAP, I believe.

Having hit the sub-regional  cord with such verve, it would be prudent of me
to retreat to the safe confines  of my own backyard, so to speak.

Mr Chairman, Distinguished Ladies  and Gentlemen,
The subject of this lecture is:
“Enhanced Agricultural  Education:
An Inevitable Necessity For Our Survival”
We aim to look at the  following:
• the status of agriculture in our nation;
• the nature of  agricultural education and examination in the prevailing
socio-economic  climate;
• the environment required for agricultural education to be  relevant;
• the presentation of agricultural education in a way that will  equip
students for fruitful living;
• inclusive agricultural education and  examination; and
• our need for agriculture.

GAMBIA PRESS  UNION
78 Mosque Road, Serekunda, P. O. Box 1440, Banjul, The  Gambia
Tel/Fax: (220) 4377020. email: [log in to unmask]

VOTER  REGISTRATION LIST
The Gambia Press Union wishes to announce that the Voter’s  List will be open
for inspection from Tuesday, March 18th 2008 to Thursday,  March 20th 4.00pm
2008.

Fully paid up members interested in  participating in The Congress are
invited to inspect the list at the GPU  premises.

Signed
The GPU Executive

FOCUS ON  POLITICS
REBEL FORCES SEIZE AND TAKE PRESIDENT DOE AWAY FROM ECOMOG  HEADQUARTERS ;
Was There A Complicity?
With Suwaibou Touray
We have  been focusing on politics, in general, and Gambian politics,in
particular. In  the last two editions, we have covered the narration of events that
culminated  in the Liberian civil war.
We have stopped where we wrote that President  Jawara who was the Chairman of
the Mediation Committee had to cut short his trip  to Zimbabwe and arrived on
Sunday 16 September 1990, in a sort of confused  state. He was interviewed by
Malick Jeng of Radio Gambia.
Let us continue  from where we stopped.
Mr. Jeng: May I ask you, sir why you’ve decided to  cut short your visit, you
were expected to proceed to New York from  Zimbabwe?
President Jawara: Well, well, I’ve come because at this juncture in  the
situation in Liberia, it is necessary to have consultation with a lot of  people
involved and this is why I have come back at this time.
Mr. Jeng: The  Ghanaians were reported to be calling for a rethink of ECOMOG’
s mandate, saying  in effect that ECOMOG should either decide to fight or get
out. What’s your  reaction to that?
President Jawara: Well, as I have said, we’ve got to a, a,  a, stage in the
whole operation when we should really consult and see how we  carry the whole
operation forward and I, I believe that ah, ah the result of our  consultations
would be to really ah, do the job ah, to achieve the objective of  bringing
peace to Liberia. Not, Not, Not to pull out but to do the job that, and
achieve the objectives which we set in the first place.
Malick Jeng: What’s  The Job Sir?
President Jawara: Well, that is to bring about, to help bring  about peace in
Liberia, I mean at the moment ah, there is a lot of confusion,  there’s a lot
of fighting,  there is a lot of violence, ah, after we  consult and decide
what to do next ah, this, the operation would bring greater  stability and more
peace and safety and order in the, in the situation in  Liberia.
Malick Jeng: And finally Mr. President, the Ghanaians have over the  past two
days bombarded rebel positions; Charles Taylor’s rebel positions. Is  this
not going to make your job a bit more difficult?
President Jawara: Well,  am, am, am not in possession of the full details of
what you’re referring to now  but ah, this all depends, I mean this is a very
complex operation and we’ve got  to a stage where really we have to think
deeply on what to do to bring a very  bad and very confused and violent situation
ah, to, to, to a halt. So am the,  ah, part of an operation which is very
complex, and which, which we have to, to  look at closely and see how to proceed
in this difficult situation from now  on.”

The Struggle in Liberia was a military one. This was why  it was seriously
followed by observers. However the politics of the West African  leaders fueled
the whole thing and complicated the war. The final communiqué of  the first
session of the ECOWAS standing mediation committee stated that “An  ECOWAS
cease-fire monitoring group (ECOMOG) was to be established in Liberia for  the
purpose of keeping the peace, restore law and order and ensure that a  cease-fire
is respected.
However, the ministerial meeting of the standing  committee held in Banjul
from the 21st to 22nd August, 1990 asserted that “The  ministerial committee
reaffirms the basic principles and component of the ECOWAS  Peace Package which
they claimed had received the consent of all the warring  parties with the
exception of the NPFL of Charles Taylor. They also further  asserted that this
confirmation of acceptance by President Doe and Mr. Prince  Johnson was conveyed
to the NPFL.
However, the situation turned ugly when  President Doe left his fortified
mansion for the first time since July and  turned up at the Headquarters of the
Peace-Keeping Force with a substantial  entourage to pay an unscheduled call on
the force commander, General  Quainoo.
Interestingly enough, Prince Johnson and several jeep loads of his  young
fighters also arrived only ten minutes after the arrival of Samuel Doe and
immediately picked up a quarrel with Doe’s men.
According to Elizabeth Blunt  of the BBC, who was covering the situation,
during the quarrel between the  soldiers of  Doe and the rebel forces of Prince
Johnson, rifles, machine  guns and grenade fire were blazing round the
Headquarters building. The rebel  fighters, she said, hunted down the presidents’
soldiers from room to room and,  as she said, slaughtered them and then grabbed
the president, who was wounded in  both legs, and carried him off to their base
camp outside the city.
According  to Blunt, members of the Peace-Keeping Force made repeated appeals
to the two  sides but were unable to stop what she described as the carnage.
She also said  by the end of the carnage, the bodies were all strewn round the
headquarters  building. She said the initial dead count was 64, who were
mostly President  Doe’s men, including some of his senior aids.
The Questions and  Doubts
Foroyaa analyzed that the fact that Does’ soldiers were running from  one
room to another, showed that they were unarmed and disarmed by ECOMOG.  Foroyaa
asked why Johnson’s group were not stopped before they got to the  headquarters
so that confrontation could have been avoided; that people also  wondered why
none of Doe’s men lived to be able to tell what actually happened  from their
own point of view; that it was also puzzling why the injured Doe was  allowed
to be taken away by Prince Johnson’s group in the name of putting him on
trial when the Mediation Committee knew very well that Prince Johnson has not
established any state with a judiciary to try accused persons.
Foroyaa also  asked whether ECOMOG had been impotent or has it been directed
by its political  masters to help get rid of Doe. Foroyaa concluded that no
matter what answer was  given, the carnage at the Headquarters of ECOMOG had
already discredited it as a  cease-fire monitoring group.
President Doe Killed What Next?
Initially,  all that was known was the fact that Mr. Samuel Doe was
eliminated. And in an  interview with Elizabeth Blunt, she was asked that since this
façade happened at  the headquarters of the West African Peace Keeping Force,
doesn’t it make that  force look rather ridiculous. She responded “Oh! Yes, and
certainly the  Commanding General, General Quainoo, said to me afterwards
that this does  complicate their task even further which seems quite an under
statement but  certainly true and he said in his long career when the port was
shelled by  Talyors’ force in the far side round the offices; that it was quite
the worst  experience of being under fire that he himself has ever had.”
However, the  BBC also interviewed Dr. Abbas Bundu, the Secretary General of
ECOWAS, after the  carnage about his reaction to Samuel Does death. “What has
happened falls within  the purview of the ECOWAS Peace Plan and we do hope now
that President Doe is no  longer in office, Mr. Charles Taylor will now see
the need to lay down his arms  within the context of the interim Government
Framework” Bundu said. He was again  asked whether in his view he was quite happy
that Prince Johnson has taken  President Doe? Answer, “Well what I am saying
is that it was within the purview  of the ECOWAS peace plan that President Doe
should withdraw from  office”.
Foroyaa analyzed that what was incredible was that Dr. Bundu did not  condemn
the carnage nor did he express any regrets, on the contrary, he  applauded
the developments and asserted that it fell within the purview of the  ECOWAS
Peace Plan.
Foroyaa opined that Dr. Bundu had forgotten the role of  ECOMOG as a
cease-fire monitoring group. It then asked how any one could trust  ECOMOG as a
cease-fire Monitoring Group. It also said Dr. Bundu did not think of  the pool of
blood which defiled the role of ECOMOG as a cease-fire monitoring  group and did
not think of the violation of the protocol on non aggression  signed by
ECOWAS states which is opposed to the very plan he referred to; that  is, a plan
orchestrated by member states to over throw the government of a  member state no
matter how weak.
PDOIS criticized the cold response given by  Dr. Bundu after the carnage at
the ECOMOG headquarters and said it paints a very  horrible picture of ECOWAS,
in particular, and Africa, in general.
What Did  The ECOWAS Chairman Say?
According to the VOA on the 10th September, 1990, in  an interview with the
HERALD of Zimbabwe, the chairman of ECOWAS, Gambia’s  President Dawda Jawara,
said that he hoped President Doe’s departure might pave  the way for Mr. Taylor
to accept an interim Government. He also said ECOWAS  would renew its efforts
to install an interim government in the  country.
According to Radio Gambia, on the 10th May, 1990, Mr. Jay Saidy, the  Press
Attaché of the President, said the President said, “Now that President Doe  has
been reported finally ousted and killed, Sir Dawda said he felt that while
the removal of Doe might expedite the process of National entente, the
leadership struggle would further aggravate this complex situation.”
At this  point, according to Foroyaa, when one  observed the scene very
closely,  some Gambians were wondering how President Dawda Jawara could welcome the
manner  of Mr. Doe’s death.
But Gambia’s External Affairs Minister was quick to call  the BBC to assert
that it was not correct that President Jawara welcomed the  overthrow of Mr.
Doe.
President Jawara himself in another interview  with Mr. Marshall of the BBC
later refuted that he has welcomed the overthrow of  Doe and said he was
shocked and saddened by that event because it would further  complicate the whole
thing; that he was shocked by the circumstance under which  it occurred and had
heard that Prince Johnson had said he would keep Doe and in  fact put him on
trial. The PDOIS leaflet asked whether President Jawara thought  Mr. Johnson
was a magistrate who could put Mr. Doe on trial.
Mr. Jawara also  called on ECOMOG to protect the family and associates of Mr.
Doe. Foroyaa  cajoled that if ECOMOG could not safeguard the security of Mr.
Doe and his  entourage right in their headquarters, how could it safeguard the
family and  associates of Mr. Doe who were based at the Executive Mansion
without being  accused of complicity in the carnage. It said common sense should
have taught  the mediation committee that once people were made to believe
that ECOMOG did  not have the ability to secure Mr. Doe and his entourage right
at the  headquarters, any attempt to show that it has the ability to protect
Mr. Does’  family and associates would make the mediation committee vulnerable
to  accusation of complicity in Mr. Doe’s overthrow. PDOIS said Jawara ‘s call
was  therefore a miscalculation. PDOIS opined that the appeal should have
been  directed to the warring parties and ECOMOG’s final role should have been to
 cooperate with them to grant safe passage to Mr. Doe’s associates and pull
out  of Liberia immediately, since the carnage at its Headquarters constituted
a  confirmation that it could not monitor a ceasefire in a war situation.
See  next Edition as we follow closely political issues that occurred in the
1990s.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Is She A Fortunate Woman
Part  5
With Amie Sillah

At The New Job
George has relocated to  Dakar. He is excited about his new job and office.
As he settled down to the  nitty gritty of his office environment, Mandy came
in. she congratulated him and  enquired whether he was comfortable. “Yes! Yes!
I am very comfortable. It is  excellent. I love it. You know I cannot compare
it with my canteen”. Mandy  laughed. “You are a funny man. I enjoy chatting
with you”. “I do not only enjoy  chatting with you but I am always praying for
you. Just be saying amen not to  make the angles angry”. Amanda laughed
heartily. Her motive and project is to  snatch George and make him he own. The
naïve George is unassuming but Marie  understands Amanda’s game. She is a smart
woman. She knows what Mandy wants.  Amanda argued that George is spending a lot
of money on his Banjul weekends.  “You are spending a lot of money to go to
Banjul every weekend. When will you  able to finish your house project? You have
to save enough money to rent a big  apartment to relocate your family but
with the space you are going can you reach  your target?” “But what are you
suggesting? This is Maria’s favourite spot. That  is the bargain. If I cannot make
it at weekends she will be very disappointed  with me”. Amanda thought hard
and said “That is excellent. You are a considerate  husband but Marie has to
understand. You need to save to relocate your family,  “You are right but you
know women”. George felt helpless. “Okay! Can we go for  lunch?” “Lunch?” “
Yes, lunch! It is on my head”. George caught up. “Okay! It is  fine by me.
Later!”

Week End
George went to visit his family at  the weekend. Maria took the children to
her man and prepared for her husband.  She wore a seductive dress and decorate
the house seductively. George opened the  door no one was around. He walked to
the bedroom. What did he see? A dazzling  seductive wife who rushed into his
arms! “Waw! Who is this sweet sixteen? Am I  in the correct house?” He
mocked. “You scared me”. Maria said. “Where are my  kinds? What happened to them? I
want to know before I relax”. “They are at Mom.  I am ready for my husband.
I want no disturbance. The two of us. Only us. We  need a lot of fun”. “Are
you sure? Are you kidding me? Don’t blame me for  whatever comes out of it. “
George teased. “Poor Reuben! I put all my  frustrations on him for missing you.
Let us enjoy for now, everything behind  us”. They have a good time and enjoy
themselves.

Back At  Work
George came back very excited. He was able to least calm down Maria’s
nerves. Mandy came into the office. “Mr. Banjul! You are back? How is Maria and  the
children?” “They are fine. Infact, my children went to Grandma. We have more
 time for ourselves. Maria is very happy and contented after a week long of
frustration”. “You are a good husband. I am jealous of Maria. You talk of her
 all the time. You are different from other men. You are a responsible family
 man. Your family, always first”. “You’ll get a man better than me. Take
your  time and search well”. George advised. “I don’t know”. Amanda said. “Let
us go  for lunch”. Left. Amanda followed him admiring him all the time. She
hatched her  evil plan.

At The Chinese Restaurant
George and Mandy enjoyed  their meal at the Chinese Restaurant. They chatted
as the ate their meal. She  tried to convince George and talked him out of the
regular weekends to Banjul.  George was still adamant. “It is hard but I have
to try. I cannot reason such an  argument with Maria. She cannot understand.
She will be suspicious. She  pretended”. Suspicious! Why? She knows you are a
good husband”. George changed  the topic.

Manipulation
Mandy saw her Managing Director and told  her that George is interested in
weekend over time jobs. “Are you sure. I  understand he likes to spend the
weekends with his family in Banjul. How is it  that he wants to change that
pattern? Are you sure you are not hoodwinking him  to accept against his wish?” “No!
No! How can I? I don’t have that power”. Mandy  was defensive. “You are a
naughty girl! I don’t trust you with George. Amanda!  Give George a space. Let
him be. He is a happily married man. Weekend job will  deny him access to his
Banjul family. Well! The offer is still there. He gets  double bonus but let
him know that it is not a force. Let him not sacrifice his  young family for
money”. “Okay Jami”. Then Amadam left. Jamila is suspicious of  Mandy. “She is
a devil incarnate. She is suffocating George. Since she helps him  get this
job, she is hassling him. I don’t like that. Woman should not undermine  each
other”. Jami soliloquies.

The Good News
Mandy convinced  George to take the offer. “It is easy money. You can easily
relocate your family  and ease yourself from your hectic weekends. Marie will
be able to relocate her  canteen business and it is lucrative here in Dakar.
Think about it”. George  remained silent. He was trying to figure out how Marie
will  react.

George Speaks To Marie
George rang Marie and told her the  plan. “What! You want to deny us our
weekends? That’s the only thing left  between us. The family looks forward to the
weekends. Now you want to deny is  our only source of joy. George! Tell me!
What is going on? Do you till care for  us? I am scared. Something is definitely
wrong. “Marie charged. “Don’t say that.  Don’t make me feel guilty. We need
the money I am doing it for our family”.  George argued “Nonsense! Our
family was surviving before your Dakar job. The  canteen satisfies our basic needs
and unified our family. I am not comfortable,  register my point”.

To be contd.

As Women Celebrate  International Women’s Day; Sukuta Women Gardeners Express
By Annia Gaye
International women’s day was celebrated on the 8 March, 2008 with the theme
“the struggle for gender equality continues. The day was set aside to reflect
on  the concerns and strategic interest of women all over the world. As it is
set  aside for women to express their concerns, Sukuta women gardeners also
share  their concerns and the problems facing them at their work and family.
In an  interview with women at their garden, on Monday 10 March,  the
president of  Sukuta women’s garden, Ma Sirreh Jatta said the day is very important
to women,  especially in the Gambia. She said women face lots of problems in
their homes  and work places. She said she herself has a lot of problems to
solve and that  the only place she earns money is from her garden. “The vegetables
I produce are  sold in the market to pay my children’s school fees, feeding
and all other  things to settle at the compound” she explained. Ma Sirreh said
that they face  the problem of water, vegetable seeds and also fencing of
their garden because  animals come to destroy vegetables every day. She said they
produce lots of  vegetables like, carrot, onion, salad, cabbage and other
vegetables but said the  problems she mentioned affects them a lot. The Women
Garden President calls on  government, institutions and other NGOs to help them
solve these problems. She  also said women should be given their rights at home,
work places and  institutions to be among the decision makers. “Women also
need freedom to decide  their own lives” she said.
Ya Fatou Cham, a gardener, also acknowledged   the importance of the
International Women’s Day is important, noting that women  are important elements in
the society. She also explained the problems she faces  in her garden, which
she includes water, fencing and seeds which are needed to  make her work easier.
“I also face lots of problems at home like paying the  children’s school
fees, feeding and everything. I really need help to solve  those problems” She
said.
Another garden member, Mbara Bojang, also expressed  similar concerns and
noting that women are important and need respect and  dignity in the society they
live. She thanked the government who she opined have  given women a voice and
have included them in the government and decision making  process. She
challenged government to help women in everything they are doing  and also support
their work. “We need help from government” she said. Mbara  congratulates all
Gambian women and urged them to work harder so as to achieve  their goals,
even though, as  she said, it is not easy for them.
For her  part, Sara Drammeh congratulates all women throughout the country
and expressed  her happiness to be part of the celebrations. She noted the lots
of problems  that have been hindering their work as gardeners such as the lack
of water and  fencing at the garden. “We feed ourselves through this garden,
therefore, we  really need help from government and other NGOs,” she said.
Other women  members, such as Isatou Cham, Penda Suwaneh, Jabal Jammeh and
Fatou Bojang also  highlighted the similar concerns and problems that they face
as women and in the  garden. They also reiterated the importance of the day
and asserted that women  need to be given their rights to live happily in their
homes, the right to  decision-making and also the right to be protected from
all forms of violence  and harassment in the society.

12 Journalists Receive  Certificates
By Amie Sanneh
Twelve journalists, from both the print and  electronic media in the country,
were recently awarded certificates after  successfully completing an
eight-day training program. The training which ended  last week was organised by Media
Agenda with funding from the US and UK  embassies and the Commonwealth
Secretariat. The aim of the training is to equip  media practitioners on human
rights issues.
Speaking at the closing ceremony,  the President of The Gambia Press Union
and Director of Media Agenda, Madi  Ceesay, said he is convinced that the
training has raised the standards of the  journalists. He explained that during the
training, participants were exposed to  so many sites; that the twelve
participants can now do their work  effectively.
Mr. Ceesay added that Media agenda will like participants to  move to another
level from where they were in terms of reporting. Mr. Ceesay  noted that this
type of training would fill the gap in the level of professional  journalism,
citing the lack of journalism school in the country.
He urged  journalists to try and investigate their stories and make it to be
balanced  before it is published. He thanked the partners for their valuable
support and  also the participants for keenly participating in the two week
long training  program.
Also speaking at the closing ceremony, the Deputy British High  Commissioner,
who is also acting as the British High Commissioner, Graham Birse,  called on
journalists to practice accurate and responsible journalism. He  expressed
hope that the training will be of immense help to the participants. He  also
told the participants that his doors are open and that they are free to  contact
him anytime they need him.
The course facilitator, Alexandra,  described the participants as the best
group he has ever met.
The vote of  thanks was delivered by Abdoulie Sey.