GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:34:37 EST
Ron,
If a petty cat fight is what you are after, then i'm afraid you've knocked on
the wrong door. I wont't, for a minute let petty personality spats muddy/soil
the substance of the message in my posting you responded to.
Now, i made a very general remark about what i contend to be a character
malaise amongst Africans, you feel it applies to you. Whose problem is that?
You want me to lose sleep over that? Here again is my judgement.... could you
kindly tell me how on earth this has suddenly become applicable to you? Here
goes:
"The real enemies of Africa and the
African peoples are those Africans who see evil and within their limited
powers could have contributed but remained on the side-lines/fence claiming
to be apolitical and neither for nor against evil. How can any conscientious
human being proudly stand in the midst of evil and claim neither support nor
umbrage against it. This is a very disingenuous stance and at best reeks of
hypocrisy froth and nonsense. If anything, it is a very futile attempt to
ride two horses at the same. It is this type of indifference that has helped
sustain evil in our midst. Friends, when we hear people proclaim that they
are neither for nor against Jammeh, we must effectively conclude that they
are either closet or unwitting allies of Jammeh and in extension unwittingly
or wittingly plotting the death of decency in the Gambia."
If you feel this is not applicable to you, why jump the gun in such a
hysterical manner? If this is not a knee-jerk reaction to something you've
read with befogged prejudices, i don't what it is? At any rate,  if you feel
this judgement is not applicable to you, then you were just jumping at
shadows! In the event, i'll just add this Brother: i made a general
judgement, and as Marley once sang, who the cap fit, let them wear it.
On the private messages you've sent to my mail box, Allah is my witness that
i replied everyone of them. As it happened, the last message i got from you
was the one sent congratulating me on my take on the Famara Jaata's 2001
Budget. Because i was holed up in Bournemouth, Dorset, with no access to a
PC, i had to resort to using my WAP cellphone to read and reply mails.
Chances are that i didn't have a very good connection/reception [anyone in
the UK will attest to the fact that One2One's network reach is just crap,
especially outside of the Greater London Area] when i was replying that mail.
Brother, i have no reason not to return your mails - as far as i'm concerned
you are my old mate. Nothing has changed with me.
Ron, if i have an axe to grind with you, i'll be very upfront about it.
Straight up, Brother! I'm not in the business of sniping ["garruwalley" as
you insinuated in your mail] behind covers; let's leave that to the ladies.
Brother, rest assured that if there is any beef with you, it will be settled
according to common decency and courtsey. I have never ever said anywhere
that people should believe in all that i believe in or else they get damned
by me. Ron, you might be the last to hear this but i never tire in telling
people that i'm a Liberal which means i believe in individual choice, liberty
and diversity, all of which are sacred to the liberal credo. Brother,  anyone
is free to tell us why Jammeh is a great guy or why he is horrible monster.
In so far i can discern here, none of my collaborators online have done or
said anything to stop anyone sending in postings that begs to differ from our
positions. After all, how on earth can we conceivably stop anyone saying what
they wish to say in their messages - as far as i can see, Dampha, Saul,
Ebrima or i are not part of the List management and i know none of them
personally. So what's all this fuss about letting people freely express their
viewpoints? Did i ever stop anyone sending in their postings? Come on, i'm
all ears.
Furthermore, you commented: "You have learned in your O'levels government
studies that, there is what
they call political neutrality, particularly in the civil service. If you
think that is sheer nonsense. That would be your business. I, unlike you,
accept others for who they are. As a great football (soccer)enthusiast (
maybe you still are), is the neutrality of the referee important? Or is that
hypocritical too?"
A disclaimer first: I never did gov't in High School. I'm surprised you
brought in the analogy of the referee in a soccer game to argue your point
about neutrality. Simply this is so easy to debunk. Consider this very
hypothetical scenario: Manchester is playing Arsenal and Keane [the hotheaded
skipper] fouls Bergkamp, what do you think the referee would do? Stay mute
because he is neutral? See, neutrality, especially in adjudication, is in
perception. Everyone knows that in reality adjudicators do take sides - the
right side by awarding penalties/freekicks to those wronged and
cautioning/booking those who violated the rules of the game. Where is the
neutrality here, in practice? I believe Chomsky wrote somewhere that
neutrality in human conduct and in real life practice is a figment of our
imagination. Another disclaimer: I've never attacked civil servants for their
supposed neutrality. I only attack those who engage in opportunistic
shenanigans. Period.
Brother, i hope i've put things in perspective and you read things properly
withou resorting to any kneejerk reaction to my general comments in the
future. In any case, i have a private mail box and decency dictates that old
mates settle differences in private rather than engage in petty cat fights in
public.
Ron, i joined Gambia-L for a very selfish reason: To wage a very big
propaganda war against those who are plotting the death of decency in the
country i love, the Gambia. Aside, most of the stuff and characters i see
chancing and surfacing here just don't click with me. I didn't join Gambia-L
to exchange diplomatic niceties/pleasantries with people who think all is
well with a gov't that sanctions the murder of school children and refuses to
repent its heinous act or even prosecute those indicted in the murders. If
you interpret that as intolerance, then so be it.
And finally, i've got no ulterior motive in what i do online; i have no
ambition for anything public in the Gambia or elsewhere - i hope you jot that
down somewhere so you can hold me on to that when ever i do an about turn.
Soon as Jammeh is history, i will be doing other stuff i know i'm best suited
for. Now, can we please move on to the things that really matter?
Best wishes,

Hamjatta - Kanteh