GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:32:20 EST
 I just read that the government is legally trying to have the constitution
ammeneded so that the local Chiefs could be hand picked by the Head of State.
I think it will be one of the greatest mistakes the govermnet will do if it
has its way. It is like impossing on the people and it just does not work. if
it does, it is just a matter of time before the people come to realise and
may rise up so high.
I am not a good historian, but I think the Nigerian history will be a very
good lesson here for Jammeh. May be even the Brikama Imam crisis should be a
lesson. A government does not impose local leaders. It is always a mistake.

Ousman Bojang.