GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B.M.Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:26:34 +0000
Hi Jabou,

By the way belated happy valentine's day to you and all the
sisters on the L. I totally agree with you that land in
Zimbabwe should be redistributed to the majority of black
farmers in the name of fairness. After all their land was
forcibly taken from them during UDI. My contention is why
has it taken Mugabe almost 20 years to do something about
it and now he is accusing the opposition of citing with the
white farmers, which is a lot of nonsense. My observation
is that he is trying to use the land issue (which is very
noble and playing on peoples sentiments) to consolidate
himself in power. It would have given him the authority to
rule with an iron fist allowing him to dissolve parliament
and the cabinet and rule by decree. Now i don't think
that's what Zimbabwe needs at this point in time.

Frankly the land issue should have been the first thing
settled after independence and did he really need a draft
constitution to do so. Thanks for sharing the radio
commentry.

basil