GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 16:06:43 +0000
Culled from All-Africa.  I totally agree with the author.

"We have seen for instance the attempt by some people, apparently with
connivance from the top to portray one type of ethno-culture as the
authentic Gambian culture, almost at the complete exclusion of everyone
else's. This is what is being presented both locally and to the outside
world as 'The Gambian culture and way of life."

I think the author is being diplomatic here, lest he be branded a tribalist.
  But I think I can help him/her.  The culture he/she is alluding to here is
the Jola culture and the leader in this ensemble is none other than Yaya
Jammeh, the President.  Folks this is no secret.  Look at who is around him.
  Even those that are not Jolas in his inner cabal are more notorious in
this presentation.  Some of them go to the extent to dig up Jola ancestry of
all sorts.  Why?  Because the Butcher of Kanilai is a Jola.  Ladies and
gentlemen, this has all the markings of the Intehamwe (spelling may be off)
in Rwanda.  Someone once told me when  Marcel Thomasi was picked to be the
"loose lips" for the APRC, "see, Marcel is not a Jola and he is given the
job because of his talents".  Folks, Marcel's mother is a Jola, for the
record and let none tell me that that was not a big factor in his
consideration for his shameless role.  Remember, not long ago when he
(Marcel) was summarily ditched by Yaya.  What was the complain of the Jolas?
  Yaya cannot do this to his own.  And it did not take long for him to be
considered again.  Also, the cultural presentations the author was
referencing to here are the "Fu Tampafu", Roots Festival (used to be
Juffureh) Wrestling at Kanilai, etc.  Is the Jola culture the only culture
in the Gambia, not at all.  Then why are our people silent with this blatant
act to Jolanize Gambian Culture, which is supposed to reflect our diverse
composition?  In my experience, some Jolas who make it their business to
remind me of my place, would first try to neutralize me by telling me how
much I can gain if I stop speaking against Mega Mouth.  When all else fail,
they resort to calling me a traitor and other stupid accusations.  So, if
this happens to any Jolas out there, especially the educated, my advice for
you is to do the right thing and tell them off.  The only thing that is
permanent is change itself, and better believe, change will come and soon.
If you were an accomplice to the Butcher, you shall be judged thus.  Our
diversity is our strength.

Shifting to the religious side of the equation, the author has the Mullah's
in mind, in the name of Imam Fatty, the Jaiteh Brothers, and the many off
shoots of the Taliban hew that roam our landscape.  Using myself as an
example, I have friends, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews,
and neighbors that are Muslim or Christian and sometimes both, AND WE ALL
GET ALONG FINE.  My type is the norm among Gambians, by the way.  I
witnessed many a fist fights among the "Ndongos" (street buddies) in my
short life span so far, and none was ever because of religious differences.
So, why is our society tolerating these skonks to fester.  Like the Jola
card, Mega Mouth is leading this one too.  Being the crook he is, Jammeh
figured out that all he needs to do is to dress like a Sokoto Caliphate,
with a rod,sword, and bead in had, to pick the pockets of the Ghadaffis of
this world.  That is the origin of that scam outfit.  His actions are no
different from the religious charlatans that frequents Gambia to dupe the
Sarahules and other quick cash types into giving money for the "Seringe" to
double it (Junk Bonds in the US).  These Taliban types take the que from him
and when he drooled not long ago about future plans to introduce sharia in
the Gambia, that was the endorsement they were waiting for.  So, it is again
the tone at the top.  Again, the only thing that is constant is change
itself, and change will come, and soon.

In the mean time, Gambians should resist being corrupted by this corrupt
bunch at the top.  We cannot afford the type of environment that is now
consuming some parts of Nigeria, and we cannot straddle the fence on this
one.  These are small fires now, however, we ignore them long enough, we
soon have a blaze to deal with.  Keep the faith.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

"It is Better to Take One Step With the People Than Ten Without Them" - Cpt
Thomas Sankara Gambian Culture - Authenticity Versus Imposition

The Independent (Banjul)

May 12, 2003
Posted to the web May 13, 2003

D.a. Jawo
Banjul

The Gambia has been unique in its ethnic and religious tolerance and the
homogeneity of its population. Unlike many other countries in the
sub-region, no Gambian is a stranger in any part of the country. Indeed
while certain ethnic groups may be predominant in certain specific areas,
but the various ethnic groups co-exist in the length and breathe of the
country. There is also extensive inter-marriage between ethnic groups, thus
creating a large corps of de-tribalised people who owe more allegiance to
the country rather than to any ethnic group. It is a similar situation when
it comes to religious affiliation. It is not unusual to find people of the
same family belonging to different religious denominations and yet they
continue to live together as one family and sharing everything else
together. In short therefore, tribalism and religious intolerance are rare
phenomena in this country.

This situation had been reflected in various aspects of life in the country
and as a result the various ethnic and religious groups have always had
equal opportunities in all areas of life including the arts, culture and all
other spheres of national activities.

Unfortunately however, the situation seems to be recently changing in a
negative way. We have begun the see the emergence of signs and symptoms of
ethnic and religious intolerance, albeit at a smaller scale than happens in
other countries. However, unless something is done about it, it has the
tendency to grow bigger and deadlier, which we cannot afford in this
country. The signs and symptoms of intolerance are now quite glaring for
everyone to see and feel. We have seen for instance the attempt by some
people, apparently with connivance from the top to portray one type of
ethno-culture as the authentic Gambian culture, almost at the complete
exclusion of everyone else's. This is what is being presented both locally
and to the outside world as 'The Gambian culture and way of life'. That is
indeed very unfair to the rest of the country because small as we are, we
also have a rich variety of cultural norms and values which together form
the whole. Therefore, while there is nothing wrong in President Jammeh or
anyone else who has the means to organize frequent cultural activities, but
it is very important for our national psychic that those cultural jamborees
reflect the realities of our diversity rather than being seen to favour any
particular group as seems to be happening nowadays.

Indeed, this is not only happening at those cultural jamborees, but even at
the other levels, including Gambia Radio and Television Services where that
'authentic' culture seems to be given disproportionate prominence over the
rest.

On the religious side, it appears that the extremists are getting the upper
hand. We have seen for example what is happening with the trivial issue of
the veil in schools. While Islam and Christianity have co-existed in this
country since time immemorial, but there had never been such a divisive
issue as we are seeing in this case. Therefore, why should it just come up
now? Religion should be such a personal issue that people should not attempt
to manifest it to the extent that it would start interfering with their
neighbours' peaceful co-existence.

The Gambia has been such a homogenous country where people of various
religious persuasions have always lived in peace and harmony. Therefore, it
would be very unfortunate if we should allow a few extremists to destroy
that impeccable record that has been built in this country over the years by
our great-grand parents.

One thing we cannot afford in this country is a religious strive of whatever
proportion. It is therefore very important that neither those in authority
nor our traditional and spiritual leaders should allow sentiments to
interfere with their judgements. It is only through unity of purpose and
adopting a common front that we can be able to defeat the extremists from
both sides of the religious divide.