GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fye Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:19:08 +0200
Mr.Gibba.

I totally agree with you tribalism has no place in Gambian society, I
hopeYahya listen to you and others

Niamorkono.

> Letter to  President Jammeh (TRIBALISM)
>

> Dear Mr. President:
>

> Do you know the danger of Tribalism?  Do you know the effect of tribalism?
Have you ever visited a country affected by tribalism?  Do you know the
effect of denouncing tribalism at political meetings?  Do you know that you
are not helping the Gambian Jolas?  Do you know that you are creating more
troubles for WE the Jolas tomorrow?

> Mr. President, I have never heard a word tribalism from the Gambian
opposition leaders. Talking about tribalism at every meeting is becoming
intolerable.  By attacking Mandinkas is not good for your tribe.  To be
honest with you, Mandinkas are not "Tribalistic" at all.  If you look at the
composition of the previous government and you look at the percentage of
Mandinkas you will definitely realise that you are just giving wrong
information.  Don't you know that if Gambia happens to be other African
countries you will have more than 60% of civil servants as the majority
tribe.  Today, you find it difficult to see a top Mandinka civil servant in
your government.  Yet, you are calling that particular tribe as
"Tribalistic".  Do you really know the meaning of Tribalism?

> I could remember last year when OJ, warned you to stop attacking
Mandinkas.  I am sorry for them now because you finished them in the civil
service.  What do you want next?  Do you want to get them out of the Gambia?
I have never heard H. Sallah,O. Darboe, S. Jatta, SM Dibba, A. Bah or any
other politician talking about tribalism.  You are the only one.  Even one
of your loyalists, FJ had never used the word Tribalism because she knows
the danger and above all she also decided to marry outside of her tribe.
This tells you that there is not tribalism in the Gambia.   Mr. President,
history shall never forgive anybody. Do you think talking about tribalism is
a strategy of gaining vote?  No! it is not at all?  You are doing more harm
than good.  I am sure even Singhatey does not like the way you attack
Mandinkas at every political meetings.  I do not know who gave you that
advice but he or she would like to see your downfall.

> You know me very well because we were together at Gambia High School.  The
Name Salifu Gibba known as Karl Max.  I know you will say that because my
wife is a Mandinka but that is not the case.   Even the main opposition
leader decided to marry from other tribe.  This is nice and that shows you,
that man can not use tribalism.  Mr. President, do you know that the
intermarriage systems we have in the Gambia is a blessing from Allah?  50%
of Mandinkas married outside of their tribe and yet you are calling those
people as "Tribalistic" because many of them do not support your ideas. Had
they not supported you, you  would not have worn the last presidential
election.  Pls check your statistics.

> Yesterday, Gambians do not know the meaning of  tribalism.  Today, you are
forcing us to introduce one.  We will not accept your call.  Tribalism has
never been in our vocabulary.  Jolas and Mandinkas have been together in
Foni since 19 hihoha.  My dad's best friend is a Mandinka and they have been
living together in Sibanorr since 19 hihoha.  Can you tell me any Gambian
from other tribe who has no family connection with Mandinkas? If your uncle
is not a Mandinka, then one of your best friends is a Mandinka.  Mr.
President, I hate talking about the word Tribalism and I hope you will also
hate it one day.

> Dr Kwame N'Krumah, first President of Ghana and one of the greatest
supporters of panafricanism, made some interesting studies about all this.
He emphazised the necessity of the effective involvement of all ethnic
groups to the development of Africa and African countries and not
marginalizing one tribe like what you are doing. A good question to answer
is why his work and ideas have not had more impact not only on other African
governments but also in the diaspora. Ultranationalisms? Selfish interests?

> I hope president Jammeh will pay attention to the above statements and
change his attitude.  Mr.  President, one day you will be called former
president.  Malik Kah, I read your respond and I think your are right.  My
brother is using tribalism as a strategy but it will not work.  Gambia is a
small country and almost everyone knows every else.  We all need to condemn
the constant attack of Jammeh to the Majority Tribe before it is too late.
I am now calling UN and foreign embassies to act now before it is too late.
Fellow Gambians some things is burning and if we do not act now it will be
too late.  Mandinkas are getting annoyed and they are saying enough is
enough.  I can sense that in my own house hold.    Who ever welcome the
constant attack of  Mandinkas by the president is making a great mistake.
We should learn a great lesson from Rwanda.  Parliamentarians should come of
with a law to prevent politicians Talking about Tribalism on the political
platform.

> Regards
>

> Salifu
>
> Forest Court