GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:10:52 +0100
Date sent:              Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:58:38 +0100
From:                   [log in to unmask]
To:                     Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Pa Touray

To: Gambia-L

Subject: PA TOURAY - Saya Manyi

It came as a deep shock to hear that Pa Touray, my lifetime closest
friend and musical partner for almost 40 years, passed away this
morning.
As teenagers Pa Touray and I first met as opponents at the football
field but soon after teamed up as musicians in the African Jazz band.
Ever since then we have been together, both professionally and
privately. Sharing stardom as the Super Eagles and pioneering modern
West African music as Ifang Bondi.We lived together and named our sons
after each other, continuing a friendship that started with our
grandfathers, the inseparable Momoudou Njie Ndombour and Momodou Njie
Jarga.

I very much regretted Pa's decision early 1990 to retire from Ifang
Bondi and settle in Sweden before finally returning to the Gambia. We
had less opportunity to see each other, but Pa has always been in my
heart and I would often listen back to the great music we wrote &
performed together.

Pa Touray had the most beautiful voice I ever heard. He inspired
generations of West African musicians, especially singers, and will
continue to be a shining star.
On a personal level Pa was a very peaceful person, a poet and a
philosopher, loved by all who knew him.

It breaks my heart that, after Ali Harb and Malando Gassama, another of
the Gambia's greatest musicians has left us.
One of the most beautiful songs, poignantly appropriate, is "Saya
Manyi", from the "Mantra" album.
Through this message I like to ask the Gambian radio stations to
dedicate the song Saya Manyi to the memory of Pa Touray.

Also on behalf of Karamo Sabally, Ousman Beyai, my wife Irene and all
other musicians and friends I like to say good-bye to my dearest friend
Abess. We will never forget you.
May your soul rest in perfect peace.

My condolences go out to all of his family and his kids, in The Gambia,
Sweden and Germany.

Badou Jobe / Ifang Bondi