GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:35:13 +0100
                          CRY FREETOWN

I watched a documentry on the civil war in Sierral Leone by a film maker Sorious Samura on CNN, and it was the most graphic, harrowing, spell-bounding and haunting documentry I have ever seen. It was journalism at real work- getting the exact story and telling the whole world as it is.

I keep wondering what degenerates a society to this level of hard-heartedness, ruthlessness and savagery. But then, part of the answer is self-explanatory. If governments" by a handful, of a handful and for a handful" continue to oppress the majority ordinary masses and thus forcing them to the receiving end of extreme suffering and poverty, then the documentry I`ve seen is inevitable. Sierra Leone once a beautiful country  with renown institutions like Fourah Bay, Njala and The Milton Margai Teachers Training College has been completly raped of everything! The chopping off of limbs(short-sleeves or long-sleeves), the summary executions, the abuse of women and children when "Operation annihilate every living thing" struck Freetown portrays how gruesome human beings could be. This operation left the city completly fallen apart.

Could the carnage have been averted? The UN and the West is being blamed for looking the other way, by exercising the "famous" wait and see policy. Well, they waited and looked too long and things got out of hand. ECOMOG, largely dominated by Nigerian forces came in and at some point found themselves drawn into the violence and even took part in the executions. It was amazing to see ECOMOG soldiers been complelty demoralized during the shooting in Freetown and the sad fact was that a 13 year old boy "Moses", who is mentally handicapped was made a scapegoat. They almost sent him to his grave, until he was saved by the Information minister who appeared at the scene. Now the perpetrators are being offered a blanket amnesty which in a way gives them immunity from being tried. I can`t help to wonder why? We`re seeing similar trials in Rwanda, Habre is being tried and the West was impatiently anticipating the arrest of late Arkan. Why this double standard? I thought what was good for the goose was good for the gander. It might be for the good sake of healing and reconciliation, but I would want to  believe that this goes hand in hand with ensuring that justice prevails. As long as these people commit these atrocities, and took pleasure in carrying it out, they knew very well what they were doing, and they have perfected the art of  their wickedness and going to the extreme of showing elation for merely being filmed. And they lacked every qualm and had the audacity to ask for copies. You still have them running around the streets of Freetown. Do they deserve amnesty after all the evils they`ve commited? Amazing isn`t it?

Much respect to Mr Samura and all African journalist who have dedicated their lives in giving the stroies as they are, and never succumbing to the bad guys of this beloved continent.

God save this hotbed continent. We`ve got to pray.

Regards,
Omar.