GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Oko Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:12:09 +0100
An unofficial and brief History.
This is an eyewitness account of my life’s story in which I witness
these events in my youth. All details, names, and in-depth information
will be in the upcoming book, “My Ndongo Life”.

By Oko Drammeh

THE THEME TUNE: WE WANT BREAD AND BUTTER
In the early 1950s there was a popular theme tune in the Gambia that was
called" bread and butter". This was the first time in the history of the
Gambia that the masses marched to government house, in the time of
Governor Win Harris, in Banjul to fight for their rights singing this
tune as a protest tune. This protest march was organized by a Gambian
/Sierra Leonian man who lived in England before. This march introduced
to the Gambia a right they had but never exploit under British rule.

WHO IS JALLOW JALLOW
The late 50s and 60s there were many Independence-Now rallies in the
Gambia .The notable speaker that time was the Legendary charismatic
youth leader M.E.Jallow known to many as Jallow-Jallow of
Lancasterstreet in Banjul. He was the secretary general of the first
workers union in the Gambia. He studied abroad and had a lot of
experience in public relation and international affairs. He was a strong
and brave individual. He had his office at Hagan Street (opposite my
house). Jallow- Jallow had very many dedicated Gambian trade unionist
like Tairu John, Omar O.A.C Njie, Wahab Loum, Mr. Wilson (father of Ebou
Wilson) and juniors like Araba Jarju and Sidebeh.They supreme support
from vetern had influential personalities and public figures like the
the radical intellectual Lawyer Saho,the father of Pa Sering Saho. (Mbye
Saho). He used to say to the Gambians" It's time to wake up Everybody ",
(Ehwu-Len) and another great orator Man Henry Joof (father of Joseph
Joof)  (ex-A.G.). This was the beginning of the mass movement, strikes
and protest marches in The Gambia.

THE GAMBIAN WORKERS UNION
Jallow-Jallow pulled together all the existing unions and to form the
Gambia's workers union. This was the first union office in the Gambia
that organized the first national workers strike in the Gambia in 1961.
The strike was an important landmark in Gambian history The
demonstration march strike broke down and the capital city was turned
into a battle zone. The police were unable to contain the workers with
only their batons and whistles. They sent for foreign troops from Sierra
Leone to guard the streets of Banjul. The Areole Vessel boat, shipped in
extra re-enforcement from Sierra Leone. They used tear gas and ordered a
curfew throughout Banjul. Many dignified Dads were beaten and
humiliated. They tortured the leader of The Workers union Jallow- jallow
and Banjul turned ugly into violence. The local people have no defense
to the tear gas and batons of the foreign forces. There was the PALM OIL
remedy relief, a  defense mechanism, whereby one would rub the palm-oil
on your nostrils and inhale the gas, (without effect) pick up the gas,
container and threw it back to the Police. It was like a war. The effect
of the poisoned gas was to make you faint and unconscious. Then you will
be picked up and drag to jail. Many old women and children were gassed
helplessly. There was panic, chaos and pandemonium.

FIRST UNION LEADER JAILED
The architect of the strike was mr. M.E. Jallow for basic salary
increase of 1 penny for the workers. M.E Jallow was jailed and the
people demanded his freedom within 24 hours. The people under the banner
of the DOCK WORKERS UNION, THE DRIVERS, and the WORKERS took to the
streets in large numbers singing "Jallow is our leader we shall not be
moved", We shall not -we shall not be moved". The leader of the
procession and Lead singer was Paps Touray and Ifangbondi. This lead to
confrontation with the small army of youths mainly from the dockers side
with the likes of Pa Kamu, Nyan Jodi Ampa, Yahya Faal, Ngala Ndoye,
Yankee Faal, John Bogoch, Daddy George, Alieu Njie" Leewen", Jodi Fye
who charged the police force (in fact Ya dikone, the notorious gangster
of Dakar was on the way to Banjul), the riot took a whole day of fierce
bloodshed. A state of emergency was ordered and the riots were contained
with a huge bill on the side of the colonial government. M.E. Jallow was
released. After this strike the drivers union under Mr. Kebba Njie and
assistant Daddy Sowe brake-away from the Gambia workers union and became
a government associated with the regime of the government of the PPP.

YUNDUM COLLEGE: THE FIRST STUDENT STRIKE
Many Gambians students, too numerous to name were attending the Yundum
College in 1963/64. The likes of Lamin Wa Juwara, Kemeseng Jammeh,
Churchill Baldeh, Dodou Jeng (teacher), Prince O'brien Coker, who were
very dynamic youth leaders and political activities. The first
studentstrike in the Gambia, the Yundum College strike was very alarming
to the state and Prince Coker was expelled from the college for inciting
the strike. Most of the boys who later became prominent figures in the
social and political struggle in the Gambia were at the college at that
time. The Yundum college strike was a stepping stone to another civil
unrest in the Gambia

THE WHITE MINISTER OF SENEGAL ACCUSED THE GAMBIA AS SMUGGLERS
The white finance minister in Senegal Mr. Jean Collen, accused the
Gambians in 1967as smugglers and labeled The Gambia as the Black Market
capital of The region The Gambians protested but without an apology from
this Jean Collen and the government of Senegal.  In 1969 Leopald Sedar
Senghore came to the Gambia to inaugurate the BICI bank and he was
bombarded with banners and flyers to repent and apologize but he was
driven away from the banners and protestors. He didn’t read the banners.
The protestors broke the security lines to chase the
escort and the police opened fire with live bullets. Many Gambians were
shot mostly students. It was like the shapeville massacre. Gambians
never saw this before. Sam Sarr, Pa Joof, Alasan Sarr, Mark Bai Ebou
Jagne etc, etc and many more were arrested and jailed indefinitely. The
Senegalese army came to the Gambia and suppressed the peoples protest.

THE GAMBIA LABOUR UNION/THE EASTERN EUROPE CONNECTION.
The Labour union of The Gambia was situated at our compound 22, Hagan
Street.(right opposite the workers union). The secretary general was Mr.
Dodou Massanneh Ceesay. He worked with Pa Babou Kebbeh of Kent Street
and Amadou Sambba of Hagan street (A.M.) He had strong ties with Eastern
Europe Russia and China,  Patrice Lumbumba and the Congolese communist
party members. I remembered my sister cooking a MONKEY for them at our
compound. The politician was Mr. M'pongo. Many bands in Congo including
Franco and the Okay Jazz sang about him. Mr. Ceesay gave many
scholarships to The Gambian youths to go to study abroad mainly to
Russia, Bulgaria, Romania and East Germany. He opened up a center at
Albion place were young Gambians can study typing skills for employment.
They also had a newspaper called the Labourer, it was not wide in
circulation and was very short lived.

THE ACTIVE PRESS
The press was silenced with a hard fist. Simply because a famous
journalist by the name of Ba Tarawaleh was jailed for revealing a secret
Rice Farm belonging to President Jawara. Later he was pardoned and
released to run the PPP political office and party paper. Before this we
had strong journalism We had great papers and great journalists
featuring great writers like Pierre Habib Sock, Joe Ceesay, (The
Worker), Dixon Colley (The Nation), M.B. Jones, (The Gambia Onwards},
Mr. Allen (The progressive), the sensational Mbake Njie, The Tonya
newspaper (Kent street members) and Sohlasi which was co-produced by Sol
mboob and Charles Jarra; There was Ngang Thomas and later Sana Mannsh
(Tix).

FULL INDEPENDANCE FOR ALL AFRICA
In the same period Guinea fell out with Senegal over Full independence
while The Paris government announced that all French citizens and
functionaries would be withdrawn from Guinea within two years, Sekou
Toure's reply was "remove them in 8 days". A ship heading for Guinea
with carload of rice went to Ivory Coast instead, 95% of The Guinea
people voted No to The French constitution after independence. "The NO".
The public services and utilities were withdrawn, the governors house
was stripped and when Guineans later found out that the furniture that
was being shipped to France actually belongs to Guinea. The Gambia was
furios on Senegal taking a stand against Guinea and Sekou toure. Sekou
Toure came to the Gambia on a state visit.

THE SENEGALESES ARMY MARCHED 3 TIMES IN THE GAMBIA WITH FORCE
The Senegalese forest guard Army were in the Gambia to arrested some
local Alkolos and detained them with torture ,somewhere in the 60's.
These were the Senegalese notorious forest guards. The tightened the
boarder and put their forces on alert. This is not the only time the
Senegalese forces march into the Gambia forcefully. Also when Eku
Mahoney was murdered the Army came to the Gambia with a full contingent
and full armies parade at the independence drive with a complete
battalion. The Gambia didn’t like their constant presence in our
affairs. The Senegalese marched in the Gambia in 1981 and imposed law
and order by force on the Gambians at the order of the Gambian
government.

GAMBIA HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS STRIKE
The Gambia high school teachers staged an important strike way before
the teachers union was formed in the Gambia. That time Gambia high
School had Pan African Teachers like Mr. Kuyeh, Omadi Jarra, Walnjame
Joof, Mr Assan Jagne. They made an impressive strike. But since they
were not a member of the workers union the strike was short lived but
had an impact on the students who were later to become Moja members
(Movement of justice in Africa) and active progressive political
figures.

IFANGBONDI‘S INSPIRATION
The riots of 1981 force many into exile and some in a strategic retreat
to Europe and America which was necessary, especially for Ifangbondi
band. The Ifangbondi was a huge source of inspiration and spirit for the
revolution. For many politicians and trade union leaders like Mam less
Diange, (Taxaw Newspaper) Abdoulie.

Wadda (now president), filmmaker Ousman Sembene and many more in Senegal
and the Gambia Ifanbondi was addictive to them. Ifangbondi refused to
sing any of the government so-called projects that the regime wanted to
rally vaguely, like E.G.  SILLS, JAHALI -PACHARR, TESITO, etc, instead
they were singing" The prices are rising and the children are starving".
The government WITHDREW the piece of land they offered the band for
youth development. The band was refused a permit to perform in the
Gambia indefinitely. Many youths were killed and the rest have to flee.

THE DEATH OF FREEDOM
There was the powerful and a conscious mass movement in the Gambia, but
the abandonment of unions, critical, newspapers, strikes, music band,
youth gatherings. Put that Gambia away, out of our reach. I had to live
in the Gambia. Because Gambia lives in me, half-die, the unions, the
music, the students unions, the teachers union, farmers and workers
union and our dynamic visionary and fiery leaders. This is the Gambia I
know. My mom’s bones and my dad's are mixed with the sand and water.
This is where I belong.

If this is all -taken away then I do not like to live in the Gambia.

Oko Drammeh