GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:39:17 -0500
Folks

Another dossier from the Daily Observer as to how APRC supporters have
reacted upon losing the Mayoral Seat of Banjul. Hold tight Pa Sallah Jeng,
APRC supporters cannot come to terms with their well deserved defeat.

Enjoy reading!

Mob Attack Aji Fatou Sallah's Residence

The Daily Observer (Banjul)
April 29, 2002
Posted to the web April 29, 2002

By Pa Malick Faye & Pa Modou Faal

An irate mob last Thursday attacked the residence of Aji Fatou Sallah, the
APRC national women mobiliser shortly after the announcement of the Banjul
mayoral results, the Daily Observer was reliably informed.

The mob alleged to be supporters of Emmanuel Wil
liams (Manu Kumba), the
defeated APRC candidate in the mayoral race, accused Mrs Sallah of
undermining Mr Williams' chances of winning the election.

The mob attacked Mrs Sallah's residence at Gloucester Street throwing
stones at the house. They threatened to raze her compound.

Some of the family members at the compound called the police who restored
order and provided security at her residence.

When our reporters visited Mrs Sallah's residence, there was a large
presence of personnel of the Police Intervention Unit.

When contacted on phone, a member of Mrs Sallah's family who preferred
anonymity said they were frightened when the mob attacked the house.

"We did not know what it was at first but later we heard people using
abusive words against Mrs Sallah accusing her of being behind Manu Kumba's
defeat which is absolutely not true.

"Everybody in Banjul knows that Mr
s Sallah's loyalty to President Jammeh
and the APRC is unquestionable. These people are doing this to tarnish her
image in the party which they would not succeed in achieving. Everyone
knows that she even organised a rally in support of Manu Kumba, so how
could she be the cause of his defeat," She said.

Efforts to talk to Mrs Sallah proved unsuccessful as the family would not
allow her to talk to the press at the moment.

A neighbour to Mrs Sallah told our reporters that the attackers threatened
to renew their attacks on her residence unless she confessed to undermining
Manu Kumba's election bid.

He urged the police to provide the necessary security for Mrs Sallah.

But when our reporters contacted Manu Kumba's camp one of his top aides who
preferred anonymity denied that the attackers were Manu's supporters. "How
can we attack our own people after they have done all that they could to
mak
e sure that Manu wins the (mayoral) election.

"It is God who says that Manu will lose this election. So who are we to
point accusing fingers on a woman of Aji Fatou Sallah's calibre?" As we go
to press, no arrest has been made yet but reports state that the matter was
under investigation.

----
Copyright © 2002 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).