GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:06:53 GMT
Mr. Colly,

Welcome aboard! Your piece is about to scare off many people. But if it
means anything, I know for a fact that most of what you've said here is
true. I've known about much of it for some time. In fact, you've left out
several names among the murdered soldiers. Also, I'm not sure about Lt.
Berec Sanneh, but for Almamo, you've only mentioned the tip of the iceberg
in terms of his madness since 1994. Last week, I wrote a little comment to
the effect that "he had it coming to him." Somebody wanted to drag me into a
childish hypocritical game about that. I just ignored him. We aren't suppose
to speak ill of the dead, but Almamo was simply evil. I'm refraining from
saying things because we do have mutual friends from the Sitanunku/Sika area
where he hails from. But everything you've said about him is true.

And regarding the tribal aspect, some of my best friends come from Foni. The
last three years I was in Gambia, I worked in West Kiang, but I spent
countless weekends in Foni, moving from village to village with friends.
I've traversed the entire Kalagi - Sibanor corridor, visiting every village
worth visiting including Yaya Jammeh's now famous, but then cemetery-like
Kanilai. To me, the people of Foni are the most hospitable Gambians. Don't
ask me why.

But, what has happened since 1994 is that Yaya Jammeh has been subtly using
his origin to rally the people from that area around him. And because the
army is one of the few places in government where he can do this without
causing a stir, he has capitalized on it. All you need to do is take a look
at the Officer Corp of the army in 1994 V. 1998. That is where his real coup
took place. The tragedy remains that, when all is said and done, only a
relatively few Foni people have benefitted from his rule. But, given his
style, he has alienated so many segments of Gambian society that many people
are bound to lash out at Jolas, who generally have absolutely nothing to do
with his regime when -not if- he's kicked out. Tribalism, that has always
been a dirty little secret in Gambia, is now more open. Yaya did not create
or start it, but he certainly hasn't done anything to cool down the embers
since taking office. In fact, when it suits his interests, he appeals to
"small tribes" to band together in order to "develop" the country -things to
that effect. And there are many Gambians, including senior members of his
govt. who continue to feed off, and perpetuate such crap. So, he's getting a
lot of help.

Personally, I commend you for addressing the tribal issue the way you have.
There are many here, who'd rather you use code words like they do. Don't.
Truth is simply the best principle. Those who are offended by the bluntness
of your piece should wake up to the reality back home. And take a look at
themselves in the mirror where ever they are. Many of us behave the same way
Yaya is, and given the chance, will do exactly what his doing for his kin.
This tribal thing is with us, and always will be, unless we devise ways of
celebrating our diversity, without turning things into a Zero-Sum game. I
have no doubt that, when the dust settles, the people being hauled off to
jail as I write this, will attest to the tribal bias you've pointed out.

I'm glad to have another Gambian on this forum who doesn't mince words. Keep
telling it like it is, and Welcome!

Saul.