GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 00:37:47 +0100
Haruna,

Thanks for your input and thanks for the compliment. I was just going to call it a night when I saw your mail. I agree with most of what you've said. You sound like you know Tripoli inside out. I had even forgotten some of the names of the places you mentioned, except, of course for Gourgi Toule, where I once lived.

I just want to set the record straight though. I have never tried to exempt Boy Narr. What I meant was unacceptable, was trying to hold him PERSONALLY responsible for the atrocities, for that would have some how ruled out Arab racism. I did mention though that in a BBC report that I saw earlier on during the crisis, some Nigerian nationals who had just been evacuated had exempted Boy Narr personally. Whoever has lived in Libya or any other Arab country for that matter, knows that Arab racism is alive and kicking.

Some of your points about Boy Narr though, are very interesting. I hope I can find time in the morning to make a comparison of his pre- and post embargo policies as you suggested. I hope this won't be considered a distraction since it is a relevant theme for Africa in general. In fact  even the Pan-African movement has been divided into two factions; between those who hold that Arabs (North Africans) should be an integral part of the movement and those who oppose their participation, for one reason or another.

Regards,

Kabir.

"Haruna Darbo" <[log in to unmask]>