GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:15:58 -0400
Hello Gambia-L

I am writing to urge all who can, to come and be among those who wish to see
freedom and justice prevail in the Gambia.  African LIBERATION Day this year
provides a rare opportunity that we should not squander.  Come to ALD 2000,
MARCH FOR JUSTICE, MARCH FOR GENUINE PROGRESSIVE CHANGE on Saturday, May
27th from the Gambian Embassy to Malcolm X Park.  And speaking of Malcolm,
he would have been 75 years old today.

To tolerate another year under this thuggish military regime in the face of
the most horrendous and oppressive assault on our democratic rights, a
regime whose leader is lacking in the faculties of perception and rational
thought, is unthinkable.  Come and march for the DE-YAYA-ING of Gambia.

Brief History of ALD

Gambians in the US have had a long history of participation in ALD; since
it's inception in the early 70s.

At the first conference of Independent African States in Accra, Ghana on
April 15, 1958, African leaders and political activists gathered to focus
attention to the total liberation and unification of Africa.  It was at this
conference that the call was made to found Africa Freedom Day, which was
later changed to African Liberation Day at the formation of the OAU on May
25th, 1963.

This day was a day, among other things, to "mark each year, the onward
progress of the liberation movement, and to symbolize the determination of
the people of Africa to free themselves from foreign domination and
exploitation."

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO FREE OURSELVES FROM, AS GAMBIANS? COME TO THE MARCH AND
RALLY.

It is a day of reaffirming our commitment to fight against oppression and
injustice.  It is a day in which all those who believe in freedom can get
inspiration and rejoice in the knowledge that the forces of naked brutality
will crumble and the suffering masses will ultimately determine their
future.

COME TO ALD 2000.  ENGAGE IN THE STRUGGLE, DO AWAY WITH THE CULTURE OF FEAR
SUBMISSIVENESS AND COMPLACENCY!  JUSTICE FOR GAMBIANS, JUSTICE FOR THE
MURDERED STUDENTS, LONG LIVE GAMSU, LONG LIVE THE TELLERS OF TRUTH!

Soffie