GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baboucarr Sey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:06:57 -0800
Ndey you said it all, thank you so much

Cheers

Mbye Sey
--- Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
It was a shocking but not surprising news to hear of
the killing of a journalist like Deyda . It was
shocking to me because i  never thought of a drive and
shooting  killing happening in the Gambia. Maybe i am
too naive to think this way , I thought that shooting
and killing in this way is a problem in other parts of
Africa but not Gambia.
It is not surprising  because the APRC regime has
created a fertile environment for these kinds of
operations to happen.

Who would have thought that people will be kill in
drive and shooting in the Gambia? This came as a
shocking news to everyone who knows the Gambia. An
immigration officer asked me" Have you heard of the
news from the Gambia ?" on my way from Oslo,at first i
thought he was going to tell me of another killing
,but he was referring to the killing of Deyda. I told
him yes I heard about it,he told me he was in the
Gambia 10 years ago and that things are not looking
good now there. I told him "not looking good" is a
nice way of describing the conditions in present day
Gambia.

The Jammeh regime should seat back and face up to the
realities in the country. They don't have the moral or
political right to run the country and they should
just hand over the country to the right people. They
have taken Gambia back to the dark ages where people
are never sure of what next will happen to them .  A
president should serve his/her people , take care of
the nation and  create a safe environment for its
people.

The government have no justification or explanation to
this brutal and barbaric way of eliminating
Gambians,first the students,we still remember them.
Deyda is a human being, a Gambian and then a
journalist. This killing is not only a concern for the
journalists but also Gambians and all thinking being
as a whole. We should all fight against an unjust and
brutal leadership. Whether the government have a hand
in this killing or not , does not matter much,what
really maters here is that they  created such an
environment and they were breeding such human beings
who can kill and go free. They need to be condemn
,they have failed the whole nation and every just
thinking Gambian needs not to be reminded of this.

People should be able to support who ever they wish to
and join what ever political party they wish to be
part of but we should always remember the truth.
I hope that this will not contain the journalist. We
should give our support to the progressive and
patriotic journalist back home. This is the time they
need our support. I hope we Gambians abroad  will take
time and reflect on what we can  contribute to the
struggle back home. Are we doing enough to protect the
likes of  Ousman Sillah (who escaped narrowly), Deyda
(who did  not ), the two sisters who are still in
hospital.  It is  time to intensify our struggle  for
a peaceful Gambia.This Gambia is not the Gambia i know
and i believed all of you are of the same opinion. We
owe it to the Gambia.  One don't need to wait until
people people start carrying guns to declare our
country  a war zone,we must not wait until people
start killing each other to declare our country
unsafe.

My deepest sympathy to the Deyda's family, the press
union, to all progressive Gambians.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいTo
unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go
to the Gambia-L Web interfaceat:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.htmlTo
Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=gambia-lTo
contact the List Management, please send an e-mail
to:[log in to unmask]いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

=====
 Let modesty be the rule of  observance.