GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:45:28 EDT

Superbird Compounds Demolished

Owners Seek Compensation

Several compounds, shops and business centres along the Super Bird highway
were yesterday morning demolished as the Senegalese Company CSE embarked on
the road construction between Westfield to Brikama Highway. The situation was
rather emotional as the owners stood by helplessly while their compounds and
business centres being turned into rubbles.

When this reporter alighted at the Super Bird from the vehicle that he was
travelling in, bulldozers were seen dragging rubbles while some other workers
were seen using heavy iron hammers and mallets hitting at walls and levelling
them to the ground.

Speaking to this reporter, one Aplha Wurri Jallow who claimed to be a victim
said, it was yesterday morning that they were asked to pack and leave their
places as the measurement of the road affected their places and that they
have to clear up the place. “We were shocked and desperate, but we had to
comply, because we cannot challenge the authority of the government”.

Maimuna Ceesay said the government should try and give them some sort of
compensation because they and their families depended on their businesses to
live. “Look it is disheartening and shocking looking at assets you invested
lot of money in being destroyed in your presence”, moaned old Ma Ceesay in
the direction of this reporter.

She explained the old proverb in Mandinka saying “Ning mansa ko siloo yaaboo
kungo teyma, kango lay bay jeng kay laa barri silo bay bola lay” meaning if
the king orders a road to be constructed in the middle of the head, it is the
neck that will be slanted but the road must be constructed.

But for us the poor ones, we put our hopes on the Almighty Allah”. When this
reporter also tried to talk to some CSE officials, a gentlemen who wished to
remain anonymous said the government has given an earlier notice to all those
affected enjoining them to leave these areas before the contractors reach
them. They failed to comply, therefore they have nobody to blame but
themselves he concluded.

Meanwhile work on the Brikama Soma Highway is seriously on course according
to reports reaching The Point. However due to many diversions owing to the
construction, transport fares have risen from D35.00 to D50.00. Many taxi
drivers said such diversions spoil their vehicles and force them to go on
maintenance almost every week.