GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:54:09 -0500
Habib,
Thank you for your reply. In fact,I did not want to go into details but I
had similar reaction when I first saw the piece.  Since I did not have time
to go through it at a hotel business centre while checking my mail in
Kampala, I made a copy and took it along with me. Reflecting on the merit
of the article, I concluded that it was not worth responding.In
fact,respond to what? that one of the authors was about to be murdered by
a"kankurang" among other silly concoctions. Come on.
My reaction was prompted not by the content of the article but by the
volume of responses to the piece which I find exceedingly disproportionate,
in my view, to the journalistic value of the article. No amount of
response, co-ordinated or otherwise, w
ill deter the likes of the late
Barkley Rice(mentioned by Jabou) and the authors of this article from
engaging in this type of journalism, if my experience is anything to go by.
I confronted Mr.Rice at Harvard Yard in the spring of 1967(while on spring
break from Lenox,Mass.) and I came away convinced of the futility in
engaging these comedians in any meaningful discourse. All said, I do
appreciate your concern; your prescribed approach? I have apprehensions.You
can try nonetheless
sidi sanneh