GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:39:58 PDT
Ebrima,

Please be more objective in your so-called analysis and commentaries. You
should not allow your personal dislike of President Jammeh and this
Government to cloud your Judgement. I was not surprised when you wrote:

"And I do not also have any hidden agenda. I don't know what the future
holds for me, but my wish is to continue in the role of a social watch dog,
where I am convinced I will play a far more effective role, because it is a
field where all my instincts drive me. But, of course, if people like Jammeh
were to remain in power, it should not surprise you, if I go into full time
politics".

Those on the list who do not know, Ebrima was actually toying with the idea
of running for the Presidency in 1996 until he realised that he will not
make it, and he dropped the idea for a later date. So, he is already in
politics and this underlying motive, coupled with others, clouds his
judgement. Not to say there is any wrong with that but to point out that he
has a hidden agenda.

Few months ago, I told you to get another "reliable source", but you either
did not take my advice, or you again got the wrong "reliable source". Your
"source" is again misinforming you.

You wrote:

"Presently, I understand that he is a deputy permanent secretary and, prior
to that he had served as a First Secretary at out Embassy in Paris, during
the transition period"

Essa Sey is not a Deputy Permanent Secretary and has never been. Essay Sey
is currently in New York at the Gambian Mission to the UN. He performed so
well in Paris that when The Gambia assumed its seat in the UN Security
Council, he was transferred to strengthen the New York office.

He has been made an Ambassador to France because he knows France, served
there, and above all he is one of the most dynamic diplomats we have out
there. Besides, not only does he speak French fluently, he writes very good
poems in French. For your information, Essay Sey was trained in France as
well.

You see, Ebrima, modern day diplomacy is no longer what diplomacy used to
be. Diplomacy to day, particularly so for Developing countries, is ECOMONIC
DIPLOMACY and PRO-ACTIVE DIPLOMACY. The days of going to endless receptions
and passing back and forth of countless note verbal are gone. Essay Sey is
some one who really understands the phenomenon in the diplomatic field.
Essay, Mambury Njie in Taiwan and Juliana Baldeh in Washington D.C. are
among the few young and dynamic diplomats we have out there. I wish you
"source" could give you the achievements Essay in the diplomatic field,
especially when he was Paris for months as the only diplomat armed with only
a secretary and a financial attache or his performance in New York.

I would be glad to hear from you what are the qualifications for some one to
be appointed an Ambassador.

Do not think your "source" did you a favour by telling you that:

"Ebrima, guess what, Essay Sey is going to be announced as The Gambia's
Ambassador-designate to France…………". This is already common knowledge and
this happened weeks ago, it is really stale news for those within the media
in this country. You are obviously out of touch. Essay and Maodo have been
written to long time ago to inform them of their appointments. The only
reason why these appointments are not yet announced publicly is because the
"agreement" (with French pronunciation) from France and Belgium are not yet
received. Normally when an Ambassador is appointed, the country he/she is
serve is written to request for an "agreement" (pronounced as 'agreema'),
which is basically a written acceptance letter from the host Government.
This process normally takes from two days to six months or more depending on
the bureaucracy, timing and many other factors. So Governments would not
normally announce such appointments until an 'agreema' is received and that
is why these appointments are not yet officially announced.

In your reply to William Njie, you wrote:

"By the way, I was told that Dr Saja Taal, permanent Secretary at the
Ministry of Education, had been sacked for the second time yesterday."

Again you are being misinformed. Dr. Saja Taal is now a Permanent Secretary
to the Office of The President, which is a more influential position than he
previous position. I think you should double-check your facts before writing
them on the list. One of my teachers once said "always make assurance double
sure" before penning down any thing.

The reasons you gave for the transfer of Njogou Bah are absolutely wrong and
at best malicious and speculative. Why write such "facts" if you cannot
substantiate them and in the process, tarnishing the image of these poor
innocent individuals (I mean both the maid and Njogou's wife). Njogou,
Ismaila, Mr. Grey-Johnson were transferred or recalled for official reasons
and simply put because their services are needed some were else.

Ebrima, from your own opinion, has the Jammeh administration done any thing
good since it came to power? I would definitely love to have an answer from
you.

PEACE

Tombong Saidy