GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:54:22 EST
Brother Abdu,

Some of the online  Gambians papers, supported by brave Gambians on the ground
are doing a  tremendous job of  continuing to expose the regime of Yaya
Jammeh, which in  turn lends credibility as well as a wider audience to our voices.

The  atrocities we have lamented on the various Gambian online lists over the
years  have now been echoed by the Gambian online papers, other journalists
in the  sub-region and around the World and human rights organizations and so
the  snowball effect of our list discussions continues to reverberate and that
was  one of the results some of us had hoped for when we took to the net to
expose  the
atrocities of the regime. In addition, the regime themselves, and Jammeh  in
particular have done quite a bit lately and continue to confirm what we have
been trying to tell the World for a long time.
Unfortunately, respect   for the rule of law which can be a valuable tool in
bringing certain types of  pressure to bearwhen  fighting oppression, tyranny
and injustice is  non-existent in Jammeh's Gambia because he is judge, jury
and  executioner  and those who dispense the law dispense it as he dictates.

All of these  things happening on the outside can only go towards augmenting
change on the  ground if
there are people on the ground who will pick up the baton and run  with it.
Unfortunately, we lost a golden opportunity during the last general  elections
in The Gambia.

Silence does not by any means mean  acquiescence in this case. Personally, my
position is that we can
continue to  talk but it is now time to find ways to turn the talking into
action. What that  action will be and what results it will yield depends on our
collective  ability to do away with the amazing lack of trust that exists
between us  and  which seems to be growing, as well as our pre-occupation with
self  that seems to stand in the way of progress in everything we  undertake.

Jabou Joh