GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kalilu camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:30:20 GMT
Religious fanatism is the worst potential of anarchy in Africa today.
With my limited knowledge in islam i have observed for centuries Africans
willingness to shed off their million year old cultural traditions in the
promise of either western or Arabic religions.
I often wonder if God has created africans in an inferior light that we have
to look so low on our own beautiful culture and tradition in exchange for
the foreign.I believe, and i do not mean to offend anyones
supremecy,God is in us as he is in any group of humanbeings. Our culure is
beautiful it is deep it is admirable but to our well-learned brothers and
sisters its of satan. Why are Africans programmed again and again to look so
low on themselves and their way of life.

Africans it seems cannot wait to serve either the Arab or Toubab.
I attest to you if we uphold our cultural and traditional values even a
little bit higher we will treat each other like humans that we are.

Why cant we believe in the fact that Allah made us too. He created us too;
our ways of social interactions must not be extinct just because a new books
of conduct has been revealed!

Our very 'socialcollective esteem' is very badly impaired by our leaders and
intelectuals who insinuate that other cultures are purer than African
culture and tradition.Little do they know what these masters of other
cultures engage in behind closed doors.

If only we know the richness of our culture, African culture will not be
allowed to die in this crucial times.
Its important to note that it is this creed and doing things that brought us
has a people this far. To call African tradition Satanic is
insulting and demeaning to say the very least.