GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malafy Jarju <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:09:39 -0800
ZIMBABWE INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR

PRESS RELEASE

AFRICAN IMPACT
A Celebration of Africa's 100 Best Books

The Zimbabwe International Book Fair invites you to be part of an
historic celebration of African writing, publishing and research.
Celebrations will reach their climax with the announcement of
Africa's 100 best books at ZIBF2000.  We would like you to
nominate the books which you consider to have had the most
powerful influence on you or your society.

NOMINATION CRITERIA
- nominated titles must have been published in the twentieth
century whether they are still in print or not
- titles must have been written by an African defined for the
purpose of this project as "someone who was either born in Africa
or who became a citizen of an African country."

Books can be nominated in the following four categories:
*       Fiction (including poetry and drama) in English, French,
Portuguese, Arabic and Afrikaans
*       Fiction (including poetry and drama) in an African
language (including poetry and drama)
*       Non-fiction in English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and
Afrikaans
*       Non-fiction in an African language
Each title must be accompanied by a rationale of a minimum of 50
words which may be written in French, English and Portuguese.

The ZIBF appreciates that any finite list of 100 titles will only
be as good as the books nominated. For this reason we are
inviting writers, academics, researchers, teachers, professionals
in the book trade and interested individuals to participate in
this exercise.

Every nomination counts.

We hope that each African country, relevant institutions and
associations will form their own discussion groups to put forward
joint nominations. We anticipate that this exercise will give
rise to debate and discussion about books and writing, history,
literature, science, etc. From the end of March, the we will
publicise the nominations that we have received to date on our
website (www.zibf.org) and in the media throughout Africa. We
encourage everyone who will participate to follow the development
of the list and engage in this important discussion.

*       Your contribution will help to deepen and broaden the
initial list  of Africa's best books.
*       The discussion that is generated, and the focus on
significant titles will bring books by  Africa's best authors to
the attention of a much wider public.
*       We hope that the list will act as a stimulus so that more
books will be read, bought, printed and reprinted.
*       The final list, which we intend to update every year to
coincide the book fair, will be a celebration of African writing
and scholarship.
*       We need your contributions.  Help us to make the list a
truly fine and representative as possible.
*       PLEASE pass the information, and the nomination on, to
everyone you know whom you consider would want to participate in
this exciting discussion.

ORGANISED IN COLLABORATION WITH APNET, PABA,
AFRICA WRITERS ASSOCIATIONS, BOOK DEVELOPMENT
COUNCIL, LIBRARY ASSOCIATIONS AND ACADEMICS.

AFRICAN IMPACT
AFRICA'S BEST BOOKS
Nomination Form

Name:__________________________________________________

Address: ________________________________________________

E-mail: _________________________

Fax: ____________________

Profession_______________________________________________

Institute to which you are affiliated_________________________

Nationality:______________________________________________

NOMINATION
Name of  Book:_______________________________________

First Name of Author:_____________________________________

Surname of Author: ______________________________________

Name of Publisher:_______________________________________

Year Published: __________________________________________

Nationality of Author (if known): ___________________________

Category:__________________

Language:___________________

Rational for submission:____________________________________

_____________

(please feel free to attach additional paper if space is not
adequate.)
Each nomination must be made on a separate form.

Please send nominations to:
Africa's Best 100 Books, Zimbabwe International Book Fair,
P. O. Box CY1179, Causeway, Harare, ZIMBABWE
Fax: 263 4 702129  or E-mail: [log in to unmask] zw

The first list will be on the web page (www.zibf.org) at the end
of March. Make sure your choice is on it. Closing date: 30 June 2000

HOW TO MAKE YOUR NOMINATION
*       You can nominate by e-mail, fax or letter.
*       Nominations can represent the views of an individual or
of a group.
*       All participants of the group must be listed either as
individuals or as participating organisations.
*       Nominations will not be accepted unless they are
accompanied by a (minimum) 50-word rationale.
*       The first nominations will be put up on the website at
the end of March and publicised through the media.

ZIBF's country representatives are; Margaret Ling/David Brine
(UK, Europe, North America and the The Caribbean), Monica Seeber
(South Africa), Thomas Kamugisha (East Africa), Woeli Dekutsey
(West Africa) and Vikas Ghai (India).

Contact details:

David Brine/Margaret Ling
ZIBF (UK)
P. O. Box 21303
London, WC2E 8PH,UK
Tel/Fax: 44 20 7836 8501
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Monica Seeber
P. O. Box 31134
Braamfontein 2017,
R.S.A.
Tel: 27 11 622 6937
Fax: 27 11 622 6800
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thomas Kamugisha
P. O. Box 22638
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania
Tel: 255 51 1148 76
Fax: 255 51 112434
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Woeli Dekutsey
Woeli Publishing Services
P. O. Box K601
Accra New Town, Ghana
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Vikas Ghai
Sterling House
L-10 Green Park Extension
New Delhi - 110 016, India
Tel: 91 11 619 1784
Fax: 91 11 619 0028
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Zimbabwe International Book Fair
Harare Gardens
P.O. Box CY1179
Causeway
Harare, Zimbabwe
Tel: 263 4 702104, 702108, 707352, 705729, 704112
Fax: 263 4 702129
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://zibf.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + + + +
Zimbabwe International Book Fair (UK) Ltd
(Agent for the ZIBF in Europe, North America & the Caribbean)
Mailing address: P O Box 21303, London WC2E 8PH
Tel +44 (0)20 7836 8501 Fax +44 (0)20 7836 8501
Email <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.zibf.org

ZIBF2000, 28 July-5 August 2000, Harare
Theme: Celebrating African Books