GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:18:34 EDT
In a message dated 7/24/03 8:17:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> All I have to say is let's bring these two folks who are diplomats based in
> DC to tasking if they think this is the right thing to do to their fellow
> country men and women.Let's put our thoughts together and meet with these
> people I don't know who they are but I have no problem of meeting them in person
> one by one.

Sariang,

This is a noble suggestion, but I am afraid trying to meet with these people
at the embassy is a futile effort simply because the wheels of a dictatorship
grind from one source at the top, and all of the people below have to obey
orders or else!

 It is the same reason that all of the suggestions for holding talks with the
APRC that were made in the past by well meaning and capable people had to be
abandoned. Negotiations or discussions can only be held with well meaning
people who operate within the same parameters as the people they are negotiating
with, and I think time has proven that  the APRC regime makes decisions based
largely on how to maintain their longevity and  anything  or anyone that stands
in the way of that is history. The people who work for them know that very
well, so i bet you could not get them to make any decisions that are counter to
what the orders may be, and infact, talking to any Gambians about this may
even send them packing. It is not an atmosphere where one is encouraged to use
your expertise or freely exercise what one thinks is the right thing to do.
This is sad but true unfortunately.
If what is alleged is true, then here you have diplomats doing the opposite
of what they ought to be doing for their people,  and these are supposedly
intelligent people.

Jabou Joh