GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 16:20:38 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/2001 11:53:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< If the rationale behind such a very unwise move by the ALD organisers was
 kill two birds with one stone i.e, shore up the chances of a United
 Opposition and at the same time heal the wounds of the Gambian peoples by
 reconciling the APRC with aggrieved Gambians , then they shall fail
 miserably.  >> What they are very likely to end up with is losing the bird in
hand and fail to capture the bird in the bush. Attempts at Gambian
unification, as things stand - especially with Jammeh remaining unrepentant
about his crimes  - is an exercise in delusional grandeur.he head of the APRC
delegation, Joseph Joof, has just finished adding his imprint to legislative
junks that has invariably increased the country's democratic deficit. That
man is not a man on the verge of repenting past ills but a man still in
denial. How the ALD
organisers or any other important guests of the weekend gathering for that
matter can conceivably change such remorseless lackeys' minds about Jammeh
beats me.

Hamjatta,

My sentiments exactly. Of course the outcry is going to be that the venue
will provide a chance for  dialogue as Latjor Ndwo stated, and I am not
personally attacking Mr Ndow here at all.
Your assesment of the situation is the same reason i offered to eat my hat if
anything new comes out from any sort of so-called dialogue with the APRC
representatives. I remember the first time that an attempt to reach out to
this rogue government was made, namely by a proposal written by Dr Abdoulaye
Saine, proposing a body of representatives from the government as well as
religious and other representatives of the Gambian people be formed in order
to see how we can establish dialogue to come up with a solution to what was
very evidently a course headed for disaster.

That proposal and all similar attempts to engage this government has fallen
on deaf ears, and the actions and agenda of the Jammeh regime leaves no
doubt, even in the minds of the daftest of individuals, that this is not a
group of individuals who are interested in  doing things according to the
laws of the Gambia, international laws or any laws governing democracy,
justice and human rights anywhere at any time. This is a fact that is as
evient as daylight. What then is the purpose of continuing to try ot invite
such a regime to come to any sort of venue where the interest of the country
is the topic of discussion? Can we really say that this regime has the
interest of our country at heart, and that their agenda indicates to us that
they will  infact do the right thing at any point in time?

 If we have come to the point where we are proposing a united opposition and
a unity government for our country, surely then, this is ample proof that at
least most of us have reached the conclusion that ours is not a normal
circumstance based on what we have witnessed from the hnads of this regime,
and this is why we have resorted to what is clearly not an idela solution for
a nation with a supposedly democratic form of government. I think many of us
still have not come to  the realization that this is a crisis we are facing
here, and that these are criminals who one cannot engage in any meaningful
way because their's is a mission of self preservation from criminal
prosecution for crimes they know they have committed and continue to commit
against Gambia and Gambians.

However, some of us continue to delude ourselves into thinking that extending
a hand to this devil of a regime will actually achieve somethimg. How many
times do we have to remind people that these are criminals who are well aware
of the crmes they have committed, and who therefore have an agenda of hiding
behind the positions they now hold because when that is gone, they will be
exposed to face the consequences of their crimes, and that coinsequently, any
actions from them will merely be an extension of the same thimgs they are now
engaged in? Nothing changes, just the method of dispensing the same old
nonsense. End of story.

Why we still continue to see these rogues as people to have dialogue with is
also beyond me . Some of us no doubt live in fantasy land, and all the roads
will soon be paved with gold, but time will surely tell.

Regarding the UDP's and the ALD venue you wrote:

"The UDP's only crime happens to be that they didn't do the decent thing and
voice out their doubt about the incompatibility of the composition of such a
gathering with its professed goals.
This, again lays bare a judgement i earlier passed on the UDP: the
fact that its communication and presentation skills leave much to be desired
for. To correct this deficit, the UDP ought to emulate the shining example of
their compatriots, the PDOIS, who have always done a very good job in selling
their position to an informed electorate. Better still, and as an interim
measure, the UDP ought to acquire the independent help of a skilled and
professional media operative who will advise them on such matters that relate
to how they sell their political position without inflicting too much damage
on themselves."

Again, a good observation indeed. Even though I could understand the reason
for the UDP's cancellation of their attendance at the ALD, I was left with a
sense of bewilderment as to why there seemed to be no one who can serve as a
replacement for Ousainou Darboe even if the previous reason  given was true.
Infact, it left me with a sense  of panic because if Darboe is the only one
who can negotiate on behalf of the UDP  on the issues at hand, then they were
begining to give me an impression of micmicking the APRC where Jammeh is the
begining and end of everything, and that is not something we want to even
think remotely of any aspiring future leadership.

It is high time that the UDP leadership realizes that the Gambian population
as well as the World are not mind readers, and that they better start
vocalizing their reasoning because the absence of such gives a very negative
impression indeed.

Well, this state of affairs surrounding the ALD celebrations no doubt gave
the APRC more of the ammunition they need to propagate even further their
modus operandi of divide and conquer, by fanning the fires of chaos, and it
seems there are always some of us Gambians willing to provide them with the
opportunity.

Their trip to Washington is not meant to accomplish anything new except to
further mock at Gambians. Perhaps  they are hoping that most of us have now
gone brain dead so that we will now buy their arguments as to why we need to
keep an oppressive and lawless rogue government in place so they can continue
to kill our citizenry and damage our economy beyond repair, or perhaps that
they have now changed and turned over a new leaf, and will be an ideal
government that has our interest at heart.
Even if the latter were true, can we believe it given what has already
transpired and what continues to transpire? Does it also change the fact that
those who will be making the promise already have the blood of Gambians on
their hads, and have committed numerous other crimes, and have continued to
commit more in addition to murder and for which they have yet to be
answerable for? How does one strike up dialogue with a criminal goverment? Do
we promise them immunity if they leave, or do we make a compromise with them
that we will just forget what they have done and move on? On to what? Is it
likely that we will have a fair election process in The Gambia with this
regime in place?  Is it likely that these people will just walk away from the
power they have grown accustomed to abusing? What pray tell is there to
discuss with this rogue regime? What is best for the country is that they
leave but we all know that is not likel;y to happen. So we just continue to
give them a venue to mock at us even more while pretending that we are
engaging in actions demed honourable and proper in the eyes of the World, but
which have no meaning whatsoever to the brutes we are dealing with. That is a
waste of time and a mockery to all Gambians everywhere.

Jabou Joh