GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pasamba Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:11:13 -0700
Jammeh and his thugs are at it again.

Imam Baba Leigh At The NIA
The outspoken Kanifing East Imam, Baba Leigh, has been arrested by officers of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), shortly after leading the Friday mosque prayers, unimpeachable sources told the Point Newspaper. Imam Leigh, who had been strongly preaching against corruption in his recent sermons, according to our sources, was questioned by the NIA in connection with BBC Focus on Africa programme, newspaper review, which quoted the Imam as having condemned the D3 million fund pumped into the Nayconf 2001.
The Kainfing East Imam who was subjected to interrogations by the State agents, said our sources, was granted bail in the sum of D100, 000 with two Gambian sureties. This follows a story carried by a local paper, which quoted Imam Leigh as having condemned the act of expending so much resources on the holding of the National Youth Conference and Festival (NAYCONF). Imam Leigh was quoted by the paper as having said that the over D3 million spent during the festival could have been better used in the development of the socio-economic sector instead of putting all that money on playing football and other games. Speaking to the Point shortly after his release from NIA, the Imam said, " Yes, it is true I was arrested by the NIA, a little after the Friday prayer. Said Leigh "According to the officers I was arrested because of a story that reflected on the BBC on the 5th of June at 7 hrs. on the BBC focus on Africa, saying that Imam Baba Leigh, an Islamic Scholar, condemned the NAYCONF 2001."
According to Baba Leigh, the BBC quoted him as having said that over D3million was pumped into (NAYCONF) and that money squanderers are evil doers. "I think the journalist responsible is Hassan Harune who said "Is the Imam brave enough to mention the big boss?". I was arrested because of that and I was interviewed," said Baba Leigh. Baba Leigh told the Point that the BBC misquoted him and that the journalist's comments added more fire to the subject. Imam Leigh further said, that he was also misquoted by a local paper, which carried the story and that he had reported the matter to the paper's editor-in-chief, demanding a correction. When asked whether he was threatened with these latest developments, Imam Leigh had this to say, "Well, naturally I am not easily threatened particularly when I have not done anything. I know I haven't done any wrong as far as the law is concerned, as far as the constitution is concerned. I am not threatened in any case. It is normal thing."
Reacting to observers' claims that he, Baba Leigh, had been very critical of the Jammeh administration in recent times, especially during his anti corruption sermons, Imam Leigh said people are entitled to their opinions but pointed out "As far as I am concerned I am not addressing Jammeh's regime or position. I am trying to interpret the Islamic perspective, the Islamic position in any human society.This is what I am trying to do." On whether he would continue with his anti corruption preaching, the outspoken Imam had this to say, "Look whether I am an Imam or not. I am a Muslim and I know the Holy Quran. I read it and I understand it. I cannot say I know everything, but I know something. I can't ever, never give up that Holy job, I have to do it. I like it and I love my country. I want to see my country become first in Africa." For Imam Leigh, he believes that through honesty and good morals, a country can achieve its objectives. Imam Leigh is asked to report to the NIA today. All efforts to reach the NIA for comments during the weekend proved abortive.