GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:56:02 +0000
Culled from AllAfrica.  It is not only UDP, PDOIS, PPP, or NRP supporters
that are hungry and marginalized.  APRC supporters are also dying, whether
they choose to acknowledge it or not.  We are at crossroads - speak your
mind or keep quiet and hold the fort for APRC until you are found dead on
your grip.  Folks cannot hide their hunger for ever.  At some point they
will have to speak up when they are close to dying due to hunger and fear.
Please read on.

The Independent (Banjul)

OPINION
November 29, 2002
Posted to the web November 30, 2002

Bijou Peters
Banjul

Gambians have often been termed voiceless people because most of us are
nervous to condemn or highlight any government policy or shortcomings. The
media is always accused and taken to task for publishing news likely to
incite the public.

There comes a time when we must make our views known and the truth focused
on. The unhappy situation of rising costs of every commodity in recent
months that has affected us all has been a daily topic for discussion and
people are heard bemoaning this desperate situation. Most of us are
disgruntled about this financial crisis. After all the Gambia boasts of
upholding democratic principles and freedom of speech is an element of true
democracy Why should there be all this fear in expressing our views?

There has been a constant allusion to peace in the country and the need to
maintain peace at all costs, our president Yahya Jammeh, is acclaimed a
champion of peace in the sub-region and every patriotic and peace-loving
Gambian is grateful for the peaceful atmosphere we enjoy and cherish. All
play a role in maintaining this cherished phenomenon.

Journalists are often accused of writing articles which may incite the
public and this is something we know that they have been detained for by the
authorities umpteen times. The recent happenings in the country in the last
few days is cause for great concern.

Monday November 25, there was panic and an atmosphere of excitement and
annoyance in the country due to the arrest and detention of the opposition
leader, Ousainou Darboe on Friday November 22. This action at a time like
this when people are disgruntled over so many things - inflation, the
shortage of petrol, gas oil, kerosene and water and tempers are short, is
like adding fuel to a burning object or insult to injury according to the
adage. It is obvious that there was bound to be clashes between UDP
supporters and the APRC militants at the arrest of Mr. Darboe. This rash
action has really incited some members of the public and we now blame the
government for disregarding the consequences of their action. We cannot be
advocating for the maintenance of peace in the country when these drastic
actions are taken against persons and other political party. We are
responsible and educated Gambians citizens who take strong objection to any
ill-thought out measures by the authorities to disturb our peace. We have
viewed the result of strife in neighbouring states and we certainly do not
want to go through any of these harrowing experiences of our neighbours. We
must be allowed to voice out the truth when the occasion warrants it and no
one ought to be picked up, victimised or killed for being courageous and
bold in a democratic environment, for speaking out the truth.