GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:11:38 -0000
Alpha, Hamjatta, Saul,

If we go on like this, we will soon be building personality cults. Somehow I
never feel offended by words. I am more concerned about the words I use and
how those words are seen. For example, I did mention somewhere in dealing
with Saul's piece that his conception would have amounted to crass stupidity
or very clumsy trickery.

Of course from a polemical point of view, I was simply trying to impinge on
the credibility of his assertions, but have no intention of making the
person a subject of ridicule or lose self esteem. This is my concern. I am
not trying to win an argument. That is why I want to be certain that words
are being used to march real conceptions.

In Saul's last piece, he wondered why I mentioned that he directed certain
hostile remarks against me. For example, he  wrote the following in his
'Adjoiner to Halifa misses the point' on 7 November: +ACI-Mr Sallah happens to
be quite smart. But what most Gambians don't know about him is that, he has
a knack for believing the most ludicrous - almost absurdly delusional ideas,
you've ever heard.+ACI-

If such comments come from someone who simply does not agree with my views,
it becomes quite acceptable. There are many people who utilise angry
invectives against me just to cover up unpleasant facts. However, if
somebody claims to have no hostile intention but then goes to this extent,
it must become puzzling.

However, it really does not matter. I am really not the least offended. In
fact, no group of people can lead a modern nation without being tolerant to
all opinions and views and showing readiness to argue at all level to
clarify matters instead of using the baton to silence critics.

I have seen that Saul does not mind and has in fact called on me to continue
to address his concerns. I will do so right away for the sake of posterity.

What I wrote was more directed to Saul than the forum. May be it should have
been a personal mail. When it comes to debate, I see myself as just one of
the guys. It makes things more interesting and makes people to speak their
mind not thinking that they have to abide by certain morales before they
could express themselves forcefully.

Let us maintain the spirit of debate. It is quite okay as long as it helps
us to be owners of our minds, owners of our thoughts and owners of our
words. We will learn from our mistakes and move on to greater things. I
appreciate your kind words. Again, it is not Halifa Sallah who matters, but
the Gambian people, the African people, humanity, at large. Each of us has a
right and a duty to develop to be our best selves and be both beneficiaries
and contributors to our common enlightenment and development. The fact that
Gambians are thinking and are not willing to be poodles is a healthy sign
that a future without tyranny is inevitable.

Halifa Sallah.