GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:51:12 EST
Ebrima,

Infact, i came on a horse borrowed from the ranch of George Bush Jr. because
all the pilgrim covered wagons were taken already by Sidi and Co.(lol)
On the visa issue, I am sure i got mine in Gambia ( if the U.s had an embassy
there at the time) although i am not certain of that. My dad took care of my
ticket, passport and visa. I was too excited and nervous. However, i merely
spent the night in Dakar at the airport hotel and did not have to go into
town for any visas etc.But to be perfectly honets, at 17, i was very scared
after the plane took off, and i thought about turning around and returning
home that night when i was all alone in my hotel room in Dakar.

It seems to me that i might have met Sonny Joiner here, but i know Koro was
definitely here, and was Koro also not one of the young Gambians who went to
Ghana to study during the Nkrumah days? Sheriff (Samsudeen) Sallah was also
here at New Haven Connecticutt, as well as Pa John Williams.Madoun Abdurahman
Jobe was in Vermont, as was Sukai ( Eli Bow) Prom. Medoun later went to the
Univ. of Illinois at Champaign. Medoun, Pa Sulay Jallow, Mambouray and
myself, having been in the same class throughout our GHS years, used to have
our mini GHS reunions in New York city.
 I know Lamin Janha, and he was one of the people who went to Ghana for sure
during the Nkrumah years, and he was our resident Pan Africanist and
Nkrumaist. He was at Silver Springs, Maryland, and his place was one of the
gathering places during ALD, and where we learned a lot about the latter two
subjects. He was married to an African American sister by the name of Njeri
at the time, and they had two boys, Kwame and Kweku who must be all grown by
now. Between Babou Saho's cooking and Lamin's place where Njeri's mom served
as "grandma", we were well taken care of.
Hydara Ceesay was at Bridgeport Connecticut in '70, 71 or so, and was married
to Haddy Sillah formerly of GHS (upperclass during our days) and i know him
because he was among the Ousman Sallah, Ebou Jobarteh circle of friends.Haddy
is the sister of Essa Sillah presently in Miami, and Amie Sillah married to
Tunde Owens.Their eldest brother Ousman Sillah the lawyer is my inlaw.

Amadou Taal, known as Baidi (oops!, i found that name out from Tejan Njie &
Co ) was at Michigan in the mid 70's with one Modou Sanyang. I met them there
because i had a summer job selling African America histoy books in Detroit.
They were like big brothers to me during that summer, and infact, Modou's
wife at the time, Lillian taugh me how to drive my first car. I bought the
car from the proceeds of my summer job when i didn't even know how to drive
if you can believe that. Anyway, by the end of the summer, i had learned to
drive that car, and drove it cross country back to school. I am still amazed
that i did that. Amadou's mom is sort of a distant relative to my mom, and my
 late oldest sister Amie was named after his mom.

Sara ceesay was and is still a very good friend from our Atlanta days. He now
lives in Tulsa Oklahoma, with his wife whom he met at that time in Atlanta.
he just sent me photos of his three boys who are young men now.
I don't remember anything about Edwin Moses going to school with Baks Touray,
but i am sure this is  the case if he said so.
Also in Atlanta at the time were Amat Gaye, Momar Mbergan, Sheikh Jobe, and
Ebou Ndure? Njaga Njie.
In the mid 70's in Atlanta also, many of us were recruited by a brother by
the name of Willie Ricks to join the AAPRP, the All African People's
Revolutionary Party. We used to distribute fliers about apartheid all over
town.That movement did a good bit of work in educating people about the
injustices in apartheid South Africa.We were armed with fliers that had all
sorts of statistics on population of Whites versus Blacks, wealth
distribution and background history, and we were glad to pass them around.
Well Ebrima, i hope this is giving the writer in you  ample material. We will
send you the bill later, or we will do it American style. After you publish
the book, we will bring a class action lawsuit on behalf of all those
mentioned to collect our share of the proceeds.(lol)
But really, it is a pleasure to share these memories. One never realizes what
a wealth of information one's everyday life experiences holds for those who
were not there. I guess this is what is known as history eh?

Jabou Joh