GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 05:55:42 -0800
Hi folks,

It seems to me that some people are blaming Momodou Camara for being a dictator
just because he has sent a posting asking people to refrain from trash talking
and name calling on the list.  For the record, he has been a superb job running
this list, and he deserves our gratitude for that.  There's much more to running
this list than the occassional e-mail that you get from the managers.  And Mr.
Camara has taken the lead in making sure that Gambia-L is run well, and has been
doing so for a long time.

In fairness to him, I would like to point out that I sent him a private e-mail a
day or so ago, following the posting from Baba Keita.  Many people would rather
debate what exactly is an insult, and when and where we draw the line.  All that
I think is distracting.  True, I and a number of people (including President
Jammeh) have had insults hurled at us.  Infact, there've been more than enough
to go round twice.

Personally, I've said here a number of times that people should tone down their
postings.  The fact of the matter is that Gambia-L is a public forum, and many
people who read your postings have no way of judging your character other than
from what you say.  For this reason, while you think that you are destroying
someone's reputation when you say all kinds of things about them on the list,
the image you tarnish is actually yours.

With regards the name calling of President Jammeh, I have often asked people not
to do it. However, his case is special because he is President.  Uneasy, they
say, lies the head that wears the crown. As a public figure and servant, the
President that expect talk like that to come his way; within limits, of course.

I suppose that's all I have to say on this matter.  Please let's all endeavor to
keep talk on the list clean, productive, and geared toward enlightening all of
us.  There's so much we can learn from each other.  And finally, I would like to
assure all of you that whether or not you agree with Mr. Camara's posting about
trash talk on the list, be assured that it was all done in good faith, and in
the interest of a Gambia-L that serves us all, and well.

Have a great week, and best wishes.

Katim