GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:26:10 +0000
The Daily Observer (Banjul)

February 24, 2003
Posted to the web February 24, 2003

Omar Bah & Modou Faal
Banjul

Following the resignation of Justice Mam Yassin Sey from the High Court last
month, a new judge, Justice Madubochi Arubuike Paul, has been appointed by
the Judicial Service Commission as High Court Judge.

Justice Paul was formally introduced to the Bench and Bar at a ceremony in
the High Court Friday. Speaking at the ceremony, the Chief Justice, Muhammed
Arif, admitted that there are weaknesses in the judiciary.

"Recently, the judiciary has been in the headlines: shortage of paper;
shortage of judges, etc. Yes, we have problems. Some of these have to do
with ourselves while others are beyond us." Chief Justice Muhammad Arif
said.

But he promised that the problems, most of which are administrative, will
soon be looked into.

"The bottlenecks will successfully be addressed by adherence to new
financial arrangements announced by the secretary of state for Finance
during his budget speech and introduced recently at the commencement of the
new financial year 2003.

Chief Justice Arif also advised the new entrant to the Bench. According to
him, a judge's task is honourable yet onerous, coming as it does with
attendant challenges. "A judge's duty therefore, is to do justice and only
that." He posited that after all his experience in the law, he is convinced
that good judges must combine three essential qualities.

"They must be competent, ie possess knowledge and experience, they must do
justice, and they must do justice for no other consideration than the doing
of justice. I urge my Lord, Honourable Justice M A Paul, all my learned
brothers and all those concerned with the administration of justice to
reflect on these thoughts." In his speech, the new high court judge, M A
Paul, promised to do justice "according to the law," and appealed for
lawyers' enlightened assistance.

"It is a challenge, but I will live up to expectations." The Lord Chief
Justice also disclosed that Appeal Court judge, Jibou Janneh, has been
appointed acting president of the Court of Appeal.

Other speakers at the ceremony included senior Lawyer Surahata B
Semega-Janneh and DPP Chief Akomaye Agim.